Chapter 20: "What has she done now?"

Unknown

A knock at my door distracted me from the forms on my computer. I growled in frustration since I hadn't been able to focus for the past hour or so.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I shouted. "Come in."

A man in uniform walked in, his black hair gelled back neatly. He comes to a stop in front of my desk. I looked up from my computer and saw him fidgeting with his hands nervously. He wouldn't look at me directly in the eye, opting to lift his eyes nervously around the room instead.

"What's got you in such a state, Romano?" He finally stops fidgeting and looks me in the eye.

"It was the weekly check of her computer today." I straightened up at the solemness of his tone. What has she done now?

"What of it?"

"Our first issue is that she hasn't checked in for 2 days." That's not normal. Even when on holiday, my people have to check in every day to ensure that I know where everyone is. This particular girl isn't one to just play hookie.

"And the other issue?" At this, Romano started to fidget again. He became very interested in the clock behind my head.

"Romano, I don't have all day." He nodded.

"There was a location sent to her computer along with an encrypted message, my guess is that she sent it there." He paused for a second. "It was in Saint-Petersburg, Russia."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. What the fuck is she doing there? I knew for a fact that she was supposed to go to Canada for her parents. Russia is a long long way from Canada.

"What was in the encrypted message?" Hopefully someone had managed to decrypt it. The one person who would be able to is the man standing in front of me. She and him were partners, two peas in a pod. More of a brother sister relationship that was quite entertaining to watch. He was not as skilled on the computer as she was, but he had the decryption key for any of her secret messages.

"I managed to decrypt it, but you won't believe what it says." I stared at him, he shrugged and handed me his phone that had a picture of the message.

Sir,

By now you and Romano have realised I am not where I am supposed to be. I have sent you the location of where I am currently being kept by the Russian Mafia.

My eyes widened and I looked up at Romano in shock. He just nodded and said, "Keep reading."

I don't know how much longer we will be staying in this location. At least you know I am in Russia. According to my captors they were sent to assassinate my parents who are assassins of a rival mafia. Oh and apparently I've been unknowingly helping my parents murder people. If what they are telling me is true, I would assume my parents are part of the Italian mafia. Anyways, I would appreciate some help.

~A

P.S: You still owe me that favour. I'm calling it in. Although I'm hoping you will do it out of the goodness of your own heart because you love me.

I returned the phone to Romano, rubbing my hand over my face. This was a lot of information to process.

"How did she send such a long encrypted message?" It's hard to send messages at the best of times, but with what is probably a stolen phone, it's downright impossible.

"She sent random numbers through the code to her computer. She's lucky I know the decryption code." He said.

"So, your partner and one of our best is missing."

"Not to mention her parents are apparently mafia assassins." I snorted, this poor girl will never have a normal life. I had avoided telling her that her parents were part of a mafia. It wasn't something I was proud of, but was something that was necessary. She wouldn't cope knowing that her parents killed the very people she tried so hard to protect, and that she unknowingly helped her parents do it. "What are we going to do, sir?"

"I am going to send a nice email to the Russian mafia leader. Threaten him and his family."

"Sir, forgive me. But we don't threaten people, it's against policy." I nodded. It was technically against policy but threatening the mafia is the only way to get their attention. I have told Romano this many times, but does he listen? Hell no. She is definitely the brains of those two.

"Have you retrieved anything on her parents?" He nodded, and I was just waiting for him to speak.

"They are also looking for her," I noticed Romano looking down and shuffling his feet.

"What is it?"

"I intercepted a phone call, but was unable to hear the whole conversation" He took a deep breath like he was nervous to speak on since I was known to be very protective of her. "It seems they may have agreed to a marriage in return for help finding her daughter."

I froze. Her spark would disappear if she were forced into a mafia marriage. It could never happen. Not on my watch.

A thought was running through my mind, something along the lines of shooting the two people who put her in this position. I took a minute to think and absorb the information so that I could devise a plan. That girl is insanely stubborn and sarcastic; we need something that at least gives her a silhouette of a path so she doesn't end up fighting for the wrong thing.

"Okay, I'll send a hidden message telling her not to come home. She'll be confused but hopefully she'll listen to me." Romano nodded.

"I will tell you when it's time to go rescue her. We will get her back, I can guarantee you that." I gave him my most sincere glance. I know he cared about her and he was probably worried sick. "Dismissed."

He saluted and walked out of the room as I started typing my email.

I know where Aliona is, and I will come for her. If you don't cooperate, I will destroy you and yours. I will destroy your home. Don't test my patience.

1.1, 4.9, 2.5

Hopefully she will get the message and do the right thing.