Chapter 9

The week has past, and Percy was waking grudgingly before dawn again. He rubbed a tired hand over his face, before getting out of bed and made a start to be ready for the day.

He turned on the shower and waited for it to warm up. As he was waiting he stared at his reflection in the mirror. It was the first time he truly studied his appearance since before the accident. Percy couldn't find any other words to describe his expression except for hollow. His face no longer carried the happy joking smile or the glinting eyes he used to have. Instead his lips marred into an almost permanent frown, his eyes were dull, no light can make them glint as they used to.

He ran a hand through his overgrown hair. He hasn't done anything to it since the accident, he didn't really had a chance to anyhow. Percy turned his attention back to the running water and undressed before stepping in. He stared at the shower head as the warm water rained down over his body. The steam filled the small space baking him in warmth. Water echoed off from the walls and he continued to stare in a daze.

A loud bang on the wooden door of the bathroom startled him. "You have ten minutes before I ditch your ass" Triton's voice sounded outside the door. Percy sighed and turn off the water and quickly dried off.

He more or less almost fell down the stairs in a rush to gather his belongings. He held on to the railing for dear life as he caught his breath from mere panic moments earlier. Mrs. O'Leary walked in, sensing the change in Percy's mood. He sighed and petted the dog. Over the week he was home he really bonded with her. She stuck her tongue out of the side of her mouth and tilted her head to the side. Percy scratched her behind the ears in affection.

Percy stoop down to gather his backpack. Triton walked towards the front door keys in hand, he barely glanced Percy's way before walking out the door. Percy draped his backpack across his shoulders and hobbled after him on his crutches.

"Percy don't forget I'm picking you up during school today. You have an appointment for a refitting of your prosthetic leg later this afternoon. Remember to stay away from the stairs."

Percy's hand stilled on the handle of the screen door at the reminder my father gave me.

"Alright got it." He hurriedly got out of the house once he heard Triton's car start up.

The car ride to school was quiet. Not that Percy was expecting anything else. Soon enough they pulled into the school parking lot. Both of them  went their separate ways once they entered through the front doors.

Percy headed to drop his jacket in his locker. He fumbled with the combination on the lock, when a crash, something hitting against metal, sounded behind him. Percy jumped and turned to see what it was. Luke and his friend with an eye patch were behind Percy leaning against the lockers. Luke has a juul between his fingers before putting it to his lips and blowing out the vape.

Percy gave them both a bored expression before turning back to my locker.

"So you and Thalia, right?"

Percy grimaced at that conclusion. He turned back to face them with a w-t-f expression on his face. Luke shot up an eyebrow, puffing out another mouthful of smoke.

"Ah. So she was telling the truth about that part. How come I never heard of her supposed cousin who is missing a leg? Pretty sure she would've said something about that, especially how she drones about her other annoying cousin, what was his name? Nico, yes that's right. Why not you, are you not special?"