Chapter 8

Amphitrite made sure she could make all the noise in the world the next morning. Pots and pans were clanging together as well with purposely heavy footsteps heading up and down the stairs.

Percy flinched at every sound she made. his head pounding at everything above the volume of a whisper. He put a pillow over his head to try to drown out the noise. He let out a sigh of resignation as the pillow provided no relief.

Percy eyes slowly focused to the digital clock on the nightstand. He squinted as the light made my head throb even more. 5:37 am. If he was going to go to school then he should be awake at this time. Percy has the rest of the week off due to the "accident", there is no reason that he should be awake.

Percy inwardly groaned as sleep left his mind, awareness filling the void. He sat up and swung his leg over to the side of the bed. He blindly reached for the crutches by the nightstand. He hesitantly stood up with the crutches support and made his way to the door.

Poseidon's voice reached his ears before he could fully make it out of his room, "Go back to bed Percy. It's too early for you to be up. I'll talk to Amphitrite to quiet down a bit. Do you need anything?"

His eyes focused on the disheveled figure by the stairs. Poseidon look like he has just woken up, probably due to his wife. He's still wearing pajamas and his hair is sticking up in all directions, Percy probably didn't look any better.

"Just some ibuprofen and maybe a glass of water." Percy answered after a minute.

"Alright I'll grab it. Go back to bed" Poseidon let out a yawn and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, before turning back to the stairs.

Percy stepped back into his room and crawled back to bed. Percy stared at the ceiling willing sleep to come back to him. Poseidon knocked quietly on his door before opening it with a glass of water in his hand. Poseidon set the glass and the pills on the nightstand and helped him sit back up to drink it.

"Is your head better?" Poseidon asked in a low tone trying to be self aware of his actions. Percy still winced at the volume though as another wave of agony flowed through his head.

"Not really" Percy mumbled. He cradled the glass in his hand and took tiny sips from it cautious of his nausea.

Poseidon sighed, "Alright. Hopefully the ibuprofen kicks in soon. Maybe some more rest will help it as well." Poseidon quietly exited the room leaving him alone in peace.

Percy continued to will sleep to follow him as he stared at the ceiling, and eventually it came.

___________________

"Percy you awake?"  Percy heard a quiet knock on the door.

Percy cracked an eye open. The sun filtered through the cracks of the blinds. He quickly closed his eye at the sudden brightness. He rubbed his eyes and sat up, "I guess" he said yawning.

The door opened and Poseidon was standing there with a goofy grin on his face. He was also covered in flour from head to toe. Percy raised an eyebrow as the scent of blueberries filled the space. In his father's hands were a plate of waffles- wait they're blue. How does he know about that?

Percy stared at the plate with wide eyes. His mom always cooked pancakes or waffles blue, since that was my favorite color. It was always their tradition. But how does his dad know about that?

Percy started to go through all the conversations that he could remember with his father, to see if he ever mentioned something about blue food. Poseidon once again broke through his racing thoughts, "Happy Birthday Percy!"

"What?" Percy looked up from the plate. Is it really today? He never really thought about it after the accident in May. He had other important adjustments to worry about. He hasn't connected the dots from the date to the event of his birth.