Ruyi

Hi, everyone. Sorry for leaving you hanging for a long while. I am going through a lot of changes in my life right now, like moving out of the country, starting to work, new environment, and so on. Please be patient with me.

If I am not updating, it does not mean I have forgotten, or have dumped this book. Trust me, this book is on my mind more than it is on yours.

Chapter 6

Wei Li Lian
Imperial Concubine Wei

Li Lian and Yuwen Hong ended up not sitting down to talk as intended because Yuwen Hong unexpectedly received visitors. His senior mates had visited him. Since it had been long, it was a reunion with his brothers in which they decided to sit out on the deck to catch up on what had taken place since they separated from the Blacksword Academy.

Li Lian tried to excuse herself so as to give them space, but Yuwen Hong was not keen to see her leave. He wanted her right by his side, and even when she wanted to be excused to relieve herself, he had worried as if she was being snatched from him again. If he could have it in his way, she was sure he would have walked her there.

It seemed he was struggling with coming to terms with her being alive, and not losing her again, which was why Li Lian wanted to be more sensitive towards him. They had been through a lot.

It was a whole new side of Yu’er that Li Lian got exposed to as she sat along at the deck. He was more friendly, easy going, and sociable.

The men reminisced about their past memories and their favourite moments, joked, teased and loosened around the alcohol that Yu'er had ordered. They were so rowdy and noisy that even anyone passing far from the deck heard them.

It was quite pleasant to also watch his playful side peek from the shadows. The Yuwen Hong who was preserved, acting in nobility, and always being a leader was taking a break.

“Let me pour you some wine,” Li Lian offered, when Yu'er's  friend finished his wine.

“Thank you,” he grinned.

“No, let him pour it for himself. You are not a slave, Li Lian.” Yuwen Hong pushed her back into his embrace.

“You are definitely mean, Lao Bai.” Lao was a term of endearment meaning “old.” Old Bai. Old Yuwen Hong.

“What if you are disrespecting the future empress without knowing it? Will you still speak as carelessly?” Yuwen Hong’s hand automatically started drawing circles on her back.

The other four made throaty sounds, criticising Yuwen Hong for reverting to his emperor mode.

Thereafter, they continued their conversations, still jabbing at each other here and there. There was no formality when addressing Yu’er because to them he was just a normal man, a friend, and someone close to their heart. It was there that it became apparent to her that Yuwen Hong wore his heart on his sleeve.

“In less than three moons, you would have reigned for five years on the throne. You are mighty and strong as an emperor, we should drink till we drop to celebrate in advance!” The green robed senior was the most talkative.

Yuwen Hong laughed, that hearty laugh that bounced from his stomach and reverberated on his chest. “I thought it would take time, but time has passed me by.”

“You have done well.”

“You have worked hard,” the other agreed.

Li Lian tried to shift away a little from Yuwen Hong. Being touched half the time was not something she was used to and Yuwen Hong seemed to like it a lot. Whenever he was around, the first thing he did was seek her warmth on his body.