Doom

Chapter 77

Crown Princess Elora
Huticah

"Feng Bao, be good," Eleanor chastised her little boy.

Feng Bao laughed and went on to throw another ball at the guard standing at the door of the tent.

General Feng smiled, indulging him, while Eleanor frowned and hit his buttocks. Feng Bao laughed in glee and threw himself to the ground, deciding that was also fun.

Elora shook her head smiling as well. In a year or so, Yun Xiang would be at the same age and causing unnecessary havoc. Worse with his temper, who would be able to bear him? She only hoped his temper would wane with age and he would be able to see reason and reign himself in.

"Are you ready?" Lord Liege came to sit at her side, in his full armor.

"Yes," she paused for a bit, "we must do our best and survive this."

The Lord Liege smirked. "Not a so good mindset to have going to war. We do not survive, we win."

She rolled her lips smiling.

His lone eyebrow rose. "I heard about your ability to influence the sky."

"Oh," she shrugged. She avoided his intense gaze that seemed to be peeling her skin off. His pair of black orbs were quite intimidating.

"How do you activate that?"

"I am not sure. It just happened." She did not think to activate anything. It was something that came over her and left when it felt like it. She had no power or say over it.

"Hmm, what would have happened before it started?"

"I am not sure."

"Furians are emotional by nature. Any similarities to what you felt when that happened?"

It had occurred twice. The first time was the day Yuwen Hong stated he would make Noble Consort Qi the empress. The second time she had been told she was going to Furia.

The common denominator was definitely Yuwen Hong. He had a way of making her so angry she could not bear it.

"Both times I felt betrayed, angry, and helpless."

The Lord Liege's eyes popped with interest.

She hurried on to add, "But it's not that I have never felt those emotions before, though during that time it was exacerbated. It was deep and unbearable."

"Then we need to get you in that state. How can we lose this battle when you can commit to such greatness?"

Li Lian shook her head. "Let us stick to what we know and that way we shall have a chance."

The Lord Liege did not push it. After all, that was no part of his brooding personality. Even more so after Yang Liu disappeared from the face of the earth, his mood had recently turned darker than ever.

In the next hour, the Furian military, plus the Huticah warriors, gathered around and chanted necessities to rile up their morale and motivation. Elora did not know where the battle would take them, but she was determined to guard the innocent lives of the Huticah citizens. They did nothing and did not deserve "retribution" as Yuwen Hong liked to call it.

Elora found herself alone in the midst of many surrounding her on a remote hill, her senses heightened by the tranquility of the surrounding landscape. The sun cast its morning, warm rays across the picturesque countryside, painting the world in hues of gold and amber.

But the peaceful serenity was shattered by a distant, thunderous resonance that gradually grew louder and more pronounced. It wasn't the rumbling of a storm; it was the unmistakable march of a vast and formidable military force.