To Meet Again

Chapter 60

Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Phoenix Palace

Li Lian woke up to soft kisses being smeared all over her face. The naked large frame of Yuwen Hong’s body hovered over her, and she wished she would experience that for the rest of her life―waking up to him by her side.

“I have to leave,” he said as he ended his kisses.

“Are we not allowed to wake up late for this once?” She tangled her body around his to stop his departure.

“Tempting,” he responded sadly. “However, duties do not consider other duties. I must go.”

She smiled and nodded.

He rose and took his time to dress up. He kept looking back at her as if keeping his eyes off her would have her disappear. His eyes were so intense as emotions roared from beneath. It was as if it was the last time he would see her and he had to memorise every bit of her into memory.

It confused Li Lian because the previous night he seemed resigned and passive when it came to their relationship. Yet now, he stared at her as the only woman he loved and would ever love.

When he was done dressing, he bent to kiss her for the last time.

“I love you.”

Her stomach went fuzzy. “I love you too.”

He grinned, still maintaining their eye lock. And like that he was gone from her.

Li Lian went back to sleep as Yuwen Hong had left before dawn, which was outright too early for a time to wake up.

Sleeping through the morning, she felt elated and optimistic about what was to come. As long as Yuwen Hong stood with her, they would rise to all challenges and succeed.

When Li Lian finally woke up for the day, she felt refreshed and rested. Days of anxiety and fear had consumed her into misery in the past days, but finally, she could look forward to peace and serenity.

She was not sure of what she would start her day with. Her life had been stripped away along with her title. Until she was restored in status, she would be an aimless woman of the palace. Yuwen Hong had not communicated what he intended to do next when it came to that. He had not been keen to discuss the future.

Li Lian called for her servants to help her wash and dress. They put her in plain cotton robes as she was no longer entitled to put on silk and satin garments at her level, nor the jewellery she was accustomed to.

As she descended the stairs of her palace ready for her morning walk, she was met by Court Lady Nam.

“Greetings, Court Lady Nam,” Li Lian bowed.

Life was unpredictable, just yesterday it was the duty of Court Lady Nam to bow to her, but now Li Lian would kowtow to almost every woman in the palace.

Court Lady Nam accepted her greetings by doing a small tilt of her head.

“What brings Court Lady Nam to the Phoenix Palace? Everything well with His Majesty?”

“Everything is well. No need to worry,” Court Lady Nam stopped her mind from overthinking. “Rather, your presence is required at the Imperial Garden, at the tea house.”

“By whom?”

“These details have not been disclosed to me. It is an official matter.”

Li Lian frowned, not aware of anything important she was to attend to.