Mistress

Chapter 26
Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Lady Wei

Li Lian was exasperated with Yuwen Hong. He kept saying he was coming back in a specific time frame, yet when the time came, he postponed his return and gave another date. She was tired of running the palace alone, the Grand Dowager was not any help recently as she was looking after Luo Lu Yun, and even worse, her coronation kept getting moved to accommodate the absence of Yuwen Hong.

It was not that she needed him for the coronation itself, however, they were not officially married, which was a requirement for her to be titled empress. Thus, her coronation was on the same day she was getting married, and to get married, the groom had to be present.

All this was for him. Not herself. For him. So it was rather annoying because he was showing a lack of commitment.

Having him away made her anxious too. It was almost four months that had passed. Why could he not just be content with the vast land he already attained? Why more and more? He was risking his life with every capture he attempted.

"Her Royal Highness arrives! Please stand!"

The harem stood at her entrance into the Inner Court Hall. They all looked pretty, ready for the morning meeting, well dressed in their official robes, perfume sifting the air.

Li Lian led to the front in her red and black robes, very similar to Yuwen Hong's. Her heavy golden hair ornaments rattled when she sat. She was already the empress in everything―an empress without title. Any jewelry stone she wished to put on, she could have it. Her clothing was the most refined, where she stayed, the food, the biggest entourage of fifty. It felt surreal, yet without her beloved back, she was just not satisfied.

"Greetings to Her Royal Highness!" They all greeted.

"Good morning. Please sit."

The harem sat according to her command with the assistant of their court ladies, and on par, the royal kitchen started to dish out snacks and tea for the concubines. Li Lian preferred milk porridge which the Senior Court Lady brought forth.

"Here, Your Highness," she served on her knees and before Li Lian could reach for it, the steaming delish spilt onto her robes.

"Ah!" Li Lian squealed as she felt the hot sticky pottage sting her legs.

"Forgive me! Forgive this servant!" The Senior Court Lady threw herself to the floor.

Li lian narrowed her eyes with contempt. The Senior Court Lady was negligent, an experienced court lady spilling something on her just like that? The same woman who derided her in Yi Yuan using the palace maids. Mistake or not, who cared? Her time for revenge had come, how could she let it pass?

The harem all looked at them with interest. What was the future empress about to do about this?

"Please stop with the begging. I am not in the mood." Li Lian rested her head onto her fingers.

The Senior Court Lady kept quiet, still kneeling and head plastered to the floor.

"Time has passed and yet you still see me as a palace maid."

"Your Highness, this servant would not dare."

"Hmm."

"By the heavens, I promise you."

She couldn't help yawning as if all of it was boring her.

"I want to slap you, yet my hands are too delicate, aiyah." She held up her hand and her fingers danced in the air showcasing her stunning nail guards.