Rice

Chapter 48

Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Her Highness Wei

First bow: wife and husband bow to each other.

Second bow: wife and husband bow to their parents.

Third bow: wife and husband bow to the Heavens.

The wedding rites ended after Li Lian and Yuwen Hong did their three bows. Officially, she was his wife and he was her husband. They would spend the rest of their lives together, sharing their burdens and the good times the Heavens willed upon them.

"Congratulations, Your Highness!" Dao and Mistress Han shouted among the crowd that lined her pathway. They were the invited guests―kings' consorts, officials' consorts, renowned women of status from all over Nevoria―who were performing the rice toss for the bride.

The rice toss was a symbolic wish to the just-married couple for a life of prosperity and fruitfulness. As a blessing, the guests showered Li Lian and Yuwen Hong as they walked down the aisle from the wedding rites.

Yuwen Hong had parted with Li Lian as they had to go to their own palaces to change their robes. Women had filtered alongside the path to her palace and men had filtered by Yuwen Hong's.

When she passed by Mistress Han and Dao, she touched their hands in thanks. She would have loved to stay and speak, but there would be no privacy to chat, alongside the time.

"That is my daughter in law!" Grand Consort Shu shouted, standing by the entrance into the Phoenix Palace. "You look beautiful, Daughter-in-law!"

"Thank you, Your Highness."

"We are now family, it is right to consider you my daughter." Grand Consort Shu chucked two handfuls of rice over Li Lian, who had her eyes blinking rapidly and tearing. "The more rice, the more children!"

The women surrounding Grand Consort Shu laughed in agreement and started chatting away, stealing the emperor's mother's attention with their conversation.

Li Lian and her entourage took it as an opportunity to sneak into her palace and ascend onto the platform. If she kept at it, she would be delayed from changing into her official gown to attend the next ceremony.

Although she was Yuwen Hong's wife, she was not yet officiated to be the empress. The crowning was at sunset and it was already the hour of the ram (1pm to 3pm), which meant she had not much time left.

"Your Highness." Tender fingers stopped Li Lian.

She turned to face Noble Consort Qi.

"May we exchange a few words privately?" Noble Consort Qi's head tilted to the entourage following Li Lian, an indication that she wanted them to leave.

"Can it not wait? I do not have the time, I must change."

"It will take a few minutes."

"I do not think―"

"I promise, just a few minutes."

Li Lian exhaled. "All right, just a few minutes. Follow me."

Noble Consort Qi followed Li Lian into the Dressing Quarters.

"Give us a few minutes of privacy," Li Lian instructed Ai and her attendants, who came earlier to prepare her robes.

They obeyed by leaving and sliding the door closed.

Li Lian tiredly sat on the chair before the huge copper mirror that reflected her image, while Noble Consort Qi stood by the door, with the stature of a guarded mother hen.