Loving Yu'er

Chapter 28
Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Her Highness Wei

The city was in full celebration. It could be heard from the Grand Palace. This signaled that the emperor and his generals had arrived in the city. Many people were said to be lining the road so they could watch the procession towards the Grand Palace.

Different instruments were being played. Surely, it was not a normal day for the citizens. Who would pass the commemoration of the enlargement of their empire as Yuwen Hong had taken over almost half of Gurio land.

His aim was just a quarter when he left, but the heavens were with him for the gain was in abundance.

The large gates of the Grand Palace opened and Li Lian observed as they entered, Yuwen Hong leading, his fellow generals riding behind, and down in ranking they followed. The footmen military were the last to enter. There were not many of the servicemen that came to the palace as some were sent home straight away, while others went to the Dura Camp.

Li Lian’s heart beat accelerated at the  sight of her beloved. He was indeed alive.

Yuwen Hong had survived it all and her worries were over. It was sometimes in the middle of the night that she would get delusional and imagine, what if he was dead and they were pretending he was alive just so they could maintain peace over the empire while finding a new leader? Was it really him sending the letters? And even if he was actually alive, was he really faring well or pretending when in truth he had already lost a leg or hand?

The thoughts of anxiety could not be helped. The few people she had opened her heart to love, died, and Mistress Ki was a recent candidate.

The gathered people―palace guards, palace maids, eunuchs, officials, the royal family―started singing praises and clapping their hands.

Yuwen Hong's horse was wounded on the neck, however it did not appear to be a deep wound. The black beast came to a stop before the people, where it's owner jumped off and people screamed even louder.

Everyone on the horses did likewise, as him. Took off their armor when he did. Bowed to the heavens in thanks when he did. And when he raised his right hand, the military dispersed to wherever they wanted to go―to each their own.

The first to present themselves to the emperor were the officials.

"Congratulations to the dragon. May he live thousands and thousands of years!" They knelt around him.

"Thank you."

Her love was tired. She could tell by his eyes and posture. Being away had taken a toll on him.

Next was the royal family, the servants, and lastly his entourage presented themselves, indicating they were ready to start serving.

"Yu'er, did you sleep well? There are eye shadows, and you look pale!" The Grand Consort fussed.

Yuwen Hong looked around. He was looking for a certain someone.

And that someone was at the back. She wanted to be the last because once she was by him, she didn't want to let go.

Her eyes teared. She missed him a lot, and he was back. It was a huge relief!

"Fuhuang!" Cai Wenjin jumped and he carried her, twirling her in the air. She screamed excitedly, and in complete delight she hugged him.

Yuwen Hong laughed. His first since he arrived. "Princess, you are growing so fast."

"Fuhuang, do you like my blue dress? Her Highness Wei made it for me. And we also had tea in her palace. The beautiful phoenix palace!"