Next Life

Chapter 44

Bai Shen Hong
Bai Yuwen Hong
Emperor Huizhong
The Dragon Palace

“What is the situation in Hougong?” Yuwen Hong poured himself some wine into the tiny designated cup. His day was over and what a better way to finish it than to sit on his deck that lay over the palace stream.

“Your Majesty, the harem will not stop tittering about it. The Noble Consort Qi being discovered in infidelity, that is a matter unheard of!” Li Jie reported to him, kneeling next to his brother, Li Jun.

“We don’t think this news can be contained from the wedding guests at the pace it’s spreading,” Li Jun agreed.

Kings from every side of his empire, alongside royalty from nations they were allied to would start arriving the following day. Rumors could easily catch their ears in the three days they would be waiting for the wedding day from their guest palaces.

“Tell the court ladies to manage the attendants from spending their time gossiping. They should all be busy with last minute preparations, anyone caught running their mouth, have their tongues cut.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” they both responded in unison.

“And what is the Noble Consort Qi doing?”

“Answering Your Majesty,” Li Jun started, “she has not left her quarters and has kept to herself.”

“As she should. Relay my orders that she should be closely watched, I do not want her committing suicide and causing chaos that will afftect the wedding.”

“Luo Meng has been watching her as per your orders,” Li Jie reminded him.

That had skipped his mind. He was punishing Luo Meng for his tattletale to the Grand Dowager Empress. Luo Meng was a wanderer and sitting all day in one place would bore him sorely.

“Let him watch over her till tomorrow, then tell him to find one of his men he can trust to watch over her.” Although Luo Meng was in the wrong and Yuwen Hong wouldn’t like to easily forgive, it could not be ignored that the Grand Dowager Empress raised Luo Meng, she probably used something against him to make him open his mouth. No matter how flawed and unreliable Luo Meng was at times, Yuwen Hong had no choice, this was the only person closest to a friend around him. No one else could he trust to open up to, except Li Lian and his mother.

"Your Majesty, Noble Consort Qi… after the wedding… Will she be punished?" Li Jie stumbled over his words.

"What do you think?" With his tone, it was not a question, rather a statement.

Yuwen Hong needed to take away power from the wing of the Qi, balance it off with Ruo Xi's wing when she entered the palace. It would help him be able to make sole decisions with all the wings silenced, none having the loudest voice.

If he didn't do it now, there was no other time. Noble Consort Qi and him had enjoyed a friendship once upon a time, but his empire came first. Also, if he didn't set the record straight to a harem woman being unfaithful, he would be opening the door for the rest to be as daring against him.

After Li Jie and Li Jun left, Li Lian arrived with Ai, who held his qin on her behalf.

“A good evening to His Majesty,” Li Lian kowtowed, Ai following suit.

“Good evening, my love,” he smiled. “Is that for me?” He eyed his qin. “Or did you secretly learn how to play?”

Li Lian laughed. “If I decided to learn, it would take me many summers.” She then ushered Ai to lay it down for him.