City Gates

Still Editing.

Chapter 39

Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Her Highness Wei
The Dragon Palace

Li Lian picked herself up and she was horrifically surprised to find her Court Lady Assistant right by her side, helping her to stand. Her entourage had watched Luo Meng disrespect her. In her emotional tirade, she had not realized they were present.

"None shall utter a word of this," she instructed them. "If I here any of it as a rumor, you shall all lose your heads."

She did not mean that literally, but that threat worked all the time. Her beloved always said that and he meant it, so why could she not use it too when she didn't mean it. They just assumed she was just like him.

And Luo Meng, she did not want her status to avenge for her concerning his cruelty. Their hatred for each other did not start on this day. She was going to seek her retribution at her own time and terms. He would not see it coming. After stealing Dao from her, promising not to tell Yu'er about her existence, and slapping her, it was about time she reminded him of his manners and morality.

"Stand aside," Li Lian told the Court Lady Assistant, then went on her knees. 

The next hour passed with Li Lian kneeling before the Dragon Palace. Her entourage looked on anxiously, but she was determined with her resolve, and she would see it through even though it meant her death. Kneeling was done to seek mercy from a master in regards to an issue, an act to show your single-mindedness.

Court Lady Nam came out to shut the large doors for the night. It was a nightly routine Li Lian knew of, having been an attendant before. The woman hesitated at the doors, before relaying, "His Majesty has said, if Her Highness wishes to do such an act, her entourage must join her."

Instantly, her entourage went on their knees behind her.

Yuwen Hong was despicable. He was making things harder for her, knowing it was easy for her to lay herself on the ground for him, however, with other people involved it would hurt her to continue.

He was right. The night did not make it any easier for her to continue, especially when it started drizzling and the wind blew vigorously. She could hear some of her attendants' teeth clatter due to the cold. They huddled themselves for warmth and some would rub their sleeves too.

Li Lian could tell them to go back to the Phoenix palace, but after what just happened to her Court Lady, she would not risk it. Yuwen Hong was unpredictable.

Thankfully, Ai had not escorted her as she was tending to the Phoenix duties when Li Lian left in a hurry after hearing the rumor about Hu-go's death.

Morning took years to come, but eventually the dark sky cleared as the roosted crowed. Yuwen Hong normally left for his morning training around that time. She was hoping for his mercy and kindness considering this was the day Hu-go was to be executed.

Hu-go was never the best brother. He betrayed her when she needed him the most, chose his goals over her continuously, but one thing remained; they were blood and he was the only person she could consider as family compared to the others. Everyone called her a bastard child, made names for the big ears she used to have as a child, disrespected her honor and dignity. Hu-go had been the only one who was kind. Though his eyes towards her were lustful, he still was good to her and she had seen her as a brother in all earnestness.

Yuwen Hong burst through his doors, ready in his black fighting attire for the training grounds, with Luo Meng behind him, holding his Dragon sword. He quickly came to a halt before starting down on the stairs.