Cursed

Chapter 17

Princess Elora
Wei Li Lian
Lady Wei

Everything was hot. The air she was breathing in and what covered her. Her heart was racing and pumping relentlessly. She was a sweating mess, and to make it worse, Yuwen Hong had himself coiled all around her.

Bile made her gag as it swirled within her chest; in any minute she would throw up.

"Yuwen Hong."

His breathing was deep and even, showcasing how knocked out he was. It was a good thing for someone who had tossing and turning throughout the night as the norm.

"My love." She patted his heavy arm.

"Hmm." He finally registered.

"Please let me go."

"What is wrong?" He pushed her even tighter into his grasp. His voice was slow, tired, and groggy.

"I am just going to relieve myself. I will be back."

Yu'er yawned and untangled her. She felt a little better to have the fresh air hit her body as she got off the bed.

“Go back to sleep," she told him.

Patting the ground in the dark, she searched for just any possible garment to wrap around her body.

"I can't sleep without you," he said childishly.

"I will be back in a few minutes," she assured him.

"Hao." Yu'er took a pillow as her replacement and silenced to sleep.

It was not a long while before she located something of hers from the floor. She could tell it apart from his because of her scent on it.

“My Lady!” They greeted her when she opened the door.

“Do not follow me,” she instructed.

The hallway was almost dark and somehow Li Lian trudged along it feeling more weak with passing time.

Disgust. She felt dirty and quite repulsive. Somehow, a person who had not bathed for days upon days was what she felt like, even though she had never been in that condition.

Li Lian almost fell into the washing room they had earlier helped her bathe in. It still had the beautiful soft lilac scent sifting the air.

It was very dark, so she went back into the hallway for one of the lamps lining the walls.

Maybe she needed to just wash herself, remove the sweat and disgust. Maybe after that, she would feel better.

It was however by accident that she caught herself on one of the copper mirrors. At the sight of herself, she jolted back and slightly screamed before abruptly covering her mouth with her free hand.

She looked awful. She was ugly. She had never met the beast looking back at her.

Heart hammering, sweat now dribbling on her forehead, astonishment was for lack of a better term.

How did she become like this? What was happening to her? Had someone sent a curse upon her?

Absolutely ugly. No, no, how was she that ugly? Not her. Who would want her now?

Tears swam on her cheeks as her chest tightened. Hearty sobs still escaped her as she tried to pull herself together, yet failing.

She really had to leave. No one could see her in such a state. They couldn't get a glimpse of her looking so ugly. Oh my, what was she to do?

Taking on a long fabric that hung on the dish, used earlier by her to wipe after her bathe, she concealed her hair and went on to wrap her face leaving out only her eyes.

Not caring what she hit on her way out, she scuffled out and ran for the exit of the palace.

Luckily it was quiet. She couldn't let anyone confront her. No one had the right to see her as a beast. She had to leave. Go somewhere anyone couldn't find her.

"Stop! Who are you?" The guards at the entrance gate blocked her path.

"Who dares to stop the emperor's woman?" She raised back her voice with the manner of authority she had seen Yuwen Hong use countless times.

"Lady Wei?" They recognized her voice thankfully. "Why have you dressed in such a manner of a spy?"

"I wish to get some air and I'm cold. Not that you must know as you have no right to question me."

Oh, no. The bile was choking her again. She wanted to throw up. She was a repugnance.

As soon as they lifted the crossed swords blocking her, she started to run. No one could see the filth that was her. A beast. So ugly. An abhorrence to humanity.

It was by a tree that she finally threw up. She coughed and huffed as contents spilled out of her.

Li Lian hated herself. Loathing was an understatement. No one would want a person like her. But…

Noble Consort Qi.

She did say she would be there for her as a friend. She did offer herself to be a confidant if she found herself in a dire situation. She could try going there.

After all, Grand Consort Shu was a vain person when it came to looks. She wouldn't want her now even though they were so close. And probably she would tell her favorite son about it. And Yuwen Hong would leave her. Who would want her?

Li Lian used the back side of the palace to trace to the quarters of the Noble Consort. It was easier to avoid the attention of guards that way. Trees and buildings became her camouflage as she ran south.

"Let me in. Let me in!" She violently knocked the huge closed gate of the Noble Consort's quarters. "Open!"

It took two strokes on the clock before they finally did respond as the gate rang to the sound of loosening bolts.

"Lady Wei, is that you?" The assistant court lady raised a lamp to her face.

"I'm here to see Noble Consort Qi."

"But she is not available―"

Li Lian did not hear her as she forced her way through.

"My Lady, please wait!" A pair of palace maids ran to her from the quarters entrance.

"Why do you dare to stop me?"

"We… we…" They stammered, shaking nervously.

Li Lian didn't understand it, she didn't, until she heard from the quarters come the sound of a woman crying. She was crying quite loudly under the hoarse grunts of a man moaning in pleasure. These sounds echoed what she had just experienced back at the Dragon palace with Yu'er.

Not knowing what to do or having the urge to face it, her feet backed away from the situation. Just as fast as she had come in, she bolted out, her mind buzzing.

That was it. This is why Qi would not bed the emperor. That is why she saw him as a friend. It was all due to her heart belonging to another man. Such treasonous acts, what a night that was a living nightmare.

"You must look everywhere and find her!" Li Lian had someone shout the command. "The emperor is sourly angry that Her Ladyship has gone missing. Ask for more palace guards to be released. Maybe perpetrators evaded the Grand palace again!"

S.V