For The Best

Chapter 27
Luo Meng
The Luo Manor

Before he could open his eyes, he knew nausea would hit him hard when he stood up. A ponderous headache pounded on his skull and it gave him the effect of the world swallowing him up. Every morning he had to deal with this because of his recent heavy drinking.

After a lot of procrastination, he opened his eyes and winced as he embraced the pain. It hurt more than the brokenness of his heart.

"Tā mā de," he swore.

He considered going back to sleep until the headache eased, but changed his mind when he did not recognise the roof. This was not his manor.

Throw away that plan.

If he did not go home now, he would not hear the end of it with Dao, especially since he did not sleep at home.

He groaned as he rose. By the appearance, he knew it was an inn. This was not his first time sleeping over there. However, his heart froze at the sight of what lay next to him.

He was dead meat!

Someone was in his bed. He did not sleep alone the previous night. How did that happen? Searching through his memory, he found nothing. There was a memory skip. No woman had accompanied him at the start of the night. He was not a person who entertained women. He was a married man. All he wanted from the inn was company from fellow men displeased about their lives because Dao did not drink.

He hesitated before pushing away his  blankets. He could just run away and act as if nothing happened. He did not have to deal with it. His marriage with Dao was already going through rough times. They didn't need more stress.

He took his outer robe that lay near the door and put it on hurriedly. He did not want to wake her and have her recognise him in broad daylight. Sins were better if they stayed in the darkness of the night. They felt worse under the sun.

He was putting on his shoes when there was a hoarse groan and blankets thrown away, exposing a tired Kong Cheng―he could tell by the familiar robes and body stature.

Relief filled Luo Meng. So close. So close.

"Because I had to take care of you yesterday, I could not get my favorite courtesan to give me a good night," Kong Cheng complained.

Luo Meng was a wimp. He realised it there and then. Of course, it would be the new fellow palace guard.

Luo Meng could not figure out whether their friendship was genuine or the child wanted a connection with him just so he could get close to the emperor. But he had to thank this child for being there the previous night.

"Thank you."

And to think this student came through Li Lian into the palace. Why did his life have to be surrounded by people associated with her? How irritating.

Luo Meng did not stay long at the inn before leaving for home. He just had a feeling that day wasn't going to be usual.

And he wasn't wrong.

"What do you mean you are leaving?" Luo Meng raged even though the headache was still clawing on his senses. He  followed Dao around the manor as she picked everything belonging to her. For some reason the many servants of the manor had disappeared. No one to be seen.

"I mean what it means. I am leaving, Luo Meng."

"You will not."

"I will."

He shook his head as if that would make the nausea disappear. "Woman, you were decreed to me. An emperor's decree cannot be broken." Just great. He was hiding behind the emperor to save his own marriage. He had reached rock bottom.

"I will ask my mistress to speak to him."

Li Lian again. She was a ghost haunting his life right to the time he did not even know her. He was right about her. There was something to not like.

Li Lian was a lucky witch. She was raised by his mother, got all the affection belonging to him. He despised her. Forget that he was starting to like her, beforehand. No more. Her and the bigger witch, Dowager Empress Wang, who killed his mother. He hated them.

Li Lian could be excused. But not the Dowager Empress Wang. Her, he would make sure she paid double fold.

Dao picked her favorite blue flowered vase in their welcoming room.

"That is mine," Luo Meng objected.

"I chose this vase," she protested.

"Who cares? It was my money, wasn't it?"

She gave him the displeased look she normally put on to intimidate him. He usually kept quiet but today when she was leaving, he was not trying to win any favors.

Dao carelessly dropped it and surprisingly, it did not break but tumbled on the floor. It must have been the rug that saved breakage from taking place.

She then stomped to their sleeping room, took out her sack, and started filling it with her clothes. She was not folding anything but just throwing it all in, begrudgingly.

"At least tell me why we are parting," he grumbled.

She sharply turned, her eyes fierce. "You seriously do not know? No idea at all?"

He was stunned. Who was this woman? Where was the soft outspoken Dao?

"Luo Meng, all you do is drink all day, then lose it afterwards, continuously threatening to kill me. For weeks now, you are always depressed without seeking change and improvement for yourself. I cannot take it anymore."

"Marriage is about surviving good times and bad times. I just lost my mother!"

"You have been saying that for weeks upon weeks! The woman at the market lost her father and a week later, she was back, selling her goods and smiling like any other day."

"People deal with pain differently. She probably knew her father, I did not know my mother. Circumstances are different."

"You threatened my life yesterday. I cannot take it anymore."

"I would never do that."

"You held a knife towards me, Luo Meng! Have I become your slave?"

"It's because I told you to go to the palace and bring our child back, but you didn't."

"Why me? Everything that a father of the household must do, you are sending me to do."

"What is so hard about telling that old woman you want your child back? The agreement was that you will only give birth there."

"I told you she wants to adopt her! See, you are always drunk and remember nothing. At this rate I am married to myself!"

He shrugged, embarrassed.

"And I find it improper, why should I bring her back to a father who is acting like how you have been?"

"Enough Dao! Stop using me for your ulterior motives."

"Lu Yun will become a princess if adopted. She will live a life so many children dream about, and later, she will marry a prince from another kingdom or even an official."

Luo Meng could only see red now. Maybe their separation was for the best. "What is the difference between you and your mother? Dumping your children in the palace," he scoffed.

Why did everyone believe life there was glitter in the palace? Dao hated the fact that her mother dumped her there, yet she wanted the same fate to befall her child.

"It is different. I was a palace maid there, yet Lu Yun will have all the love. Our older mother empress adores Lu Yun and she will give her a life of convenience. While also, my mistress is about to become empress."

Luo Meng suffered all his life. His mother was absent and though he grew up in the palace, he hated it. Nothing was good enough to replace a mother's love. Not any kind of luxury.

He took in a deep breath and slowly let it out. Maybe she was right. It was best they separated. 

S.V