What makes a dragon?

Mal was not ready.

They were getting closer to the castle, closer to her mother,to Maleficent and she was not ready. Flashes of her mother appeared around her as they walked. Like ghosts.

"Stand straighter!"

"How dare you!?"

"I'll give you something to cry about you snivelling brat!"

"Dont worry boys she just likes to play hard to get, dont you Mal?"

"You wouldn't want to disappoint me would you girl?"

Mal stopped walking.

No this... this was something she couldn't do. Maleficent was going to be so mad. So angry. She would... she would punish her again.

"Stay still you little bitch!"

No... please mama... please... please dont ...

"Mal?" Evies beautiful face swam in her vision but all she could hear was her mothers screeching voice and feel her hand twisting in her hair.

"Dont worry Mally its only gonna hurt for a while."

"See if you were a full fairy the iron would have killed you by now... lucky you hmm? .... hit her again boys."

She couldn't do this.

She couldnt do this.

She couldnt do this!

"Mal!" Hands gripping her face and the deepest brown eyes she had ever seen stood directly in front of her. "Breathe Mal. That's it."

Evie always knew what to do. She was the smart one of the pair wasnt she? Kept Mal out of trouble or maybe got her into it. Maybe a little of both. If Evie said to breathe she had to.

She couldnt let her down again.

"Sorry." It was almost a whisper but no one needed to hear bar Evie.

The blue haired girl just stared for a while before she softly kissed her forehead. Showing this type of affection wasnt safe on the Isle but there again was anything safe on the Isle? One large mashup of psychopaths and murderers. Monsters, thieves and slavers. And the spawn that they created.

"We dont have to go. You dont have to see her." Evie whispered in her ear.

She didnt. She could run. Leave and hide with the other three until the parents said was time to go home and away from the Isle for good. Hope they took them home with every fibre of her being because she wasnt sure she could survive on the Isle anymore.

Wasnt sure she wanted to.

"No."

Why would she say that!?

Mals voice had slipped out before she had thought about it. She didnt want to see her mother. She didnt want to. She wanted to run and hide and never go back to that wretched place and feel her mothers cold gaze upon her again. She... she...

She didnt want to... but she needed to. Shed watched Carlos tremble one last time before his mother, Jay twitch as his father drowned and Evie, beautiful caring Evie, whisper to her mother as the woman's heart was crushed.

What right did she have to hide from her pain when they had had to suffer. She had to face her demons because her friends had done the same, her family had done the same and she wouldnt let that be for nothing. They had come here to stop the monsters of their past and Mal would see it through.