Sweet child of mine.

Im so sorry this is so late. Ive been having some personal problems and therefore couldn't find the time to finish writing this chapter. I am really glad you guys are still here and I love seeing your comments :)

Here is a little chapter and I hope to put up the next chapter during the week :)

"I don't think I'm any good at this." Regina looked over at the blonde in front of her. The children were currently spending time with Cynthia and Jason, learning that not all dogs were going to hurt them and the other two had gone out for coffee... which had turned into whiskey.

"What do you mean?" Regina raised a delicate eyebrow as Mallory downed her fifth glass, already raising her hand to ask for another from the barman.

"Mal had another nightmare last night... They're getting more vocal..." Mallory wiped a hand down her face and Regina couldn't think of a time she had looked less tired.

She was pale, almost as pale as the children (except for Jay) who all seemed to have never seen the sun before. Bags were beginning to show under her eyes and Regina knew exactly why. She had thankfully only seen one of those episodes for Mal but Regina had seen Evies. They weren't as loud as Mals, the blue haired girl had never screamed but she whimpered and cried until Regina woke her. However, Evie's nightmares were finally starting to die down and soon Regina hoped the girl would be able to sleep an entire week without waking to one.

Mal's though were just beginning. And they were brutal.

"She just wont stop screaming." Mallory had told them all a few days after the first episode.

They were sat at the park again, the children playing some game on the jungle gym. Mallorys eyes looked both murderous and tortured at the same time. "She thrashes around a lot... cries... but the screaming is the worst. It's like someone's killing her."

Regina raised her hand as well and ordered two more drinks for their table and downed one quickly.

"She'll get better. They all will. They've been through hell but they'll... they'll heal."

"She needs a mother." Regina raised her eyebrow again.

"She has one." The Mayor said eyes trained on the blonde.

"No a proper mother. Someone who understands all this... someone who can help her."

Regina thought for a moment before putting her glass down and whacked Mallory around the back of the head. The blonde jolted and yelped in surprise before turning to glare at the other woman.

"And you did that because?"

"If you think for a moment that, that girl needs anyone but you then you are sorely mistaken." Regina said picking up her glass again. "She needs a mother who is kind and is going to look after her like she deserves. Just like you. Look at us. No one in this entire world is going to understand those kids and what they've been through... the best we can do is be there for them."

Mallory sighed again, draining another glass like she expected to find some sort of solace in the empty glass.

"She does trust you." Mallory looked at the ex Mayor. Her eyes were inquisitive, if not slightly hazy. "Mal. She trusts you."

"You havent seen her when she wakes up... she... she looks at me... like..." whatever the like was Mallory didnt say but just ordered another drink, a haunted look in her eye.

"The fact she has those nightmares proves she does." The slight 'your crazy' look Mallory was giving her made Regina roll her eyes but carry on. "Look  i know her type. She doesn't show weakness or anything like that and Im guessing waking up screaming is a vulnerable thing... she may not know it yet but she trusts you not to hurt her... otherwise she wouldn't put herself in that position."

The rest of their drink was in silence but Mallory wondered if Regina could hear how loud her thoughts were. Did Mal really trust her? Or at least did her subconscious?

It was three days later after Mal had awoken again screaming, begging her to stop some ungodly torture that she cried about herself secretly when no one was around, that she realised maybe Regina was right.

They were sat there in silence, Mal still shaking, trying not to spill the glass of water she'd been given. Mallory looked at her. She was so small during these moments. The air of bravery she gave off when around the other children was gone, even the slight strength she still radiated when around Mallory was always wiped away whenever she woke up from these nightmares. She just looked like a child. A small, terrified child... and that's exactly what she was. She was just a small girl who had been abused all her life and let fake personas rule her because she needed them to survive. Mallory watched her place the glass down, spilling a small bit of water as her hands trembled violently.

The woman got up, about to leave to go and get something, do something, if only to try and stop the rage that boiled within her as she thought of the reasons why Mal was so terrified to be in the same room as her. She'd taken a step towards the door, her throat feeling tight with emotions. Just a few more steps and she could break down. She could cry and scream alone and silent in her room for just a moment, she could-

"S-stay." The word made her come up short and she spun around, seeing the small hand outstretched in some form of plea. The purplette shook again and Mallory moved towards her and sat down.

"I wont leave you." She said softly and the girl slumped against her, laying her head on her shoulder.

"T-thank you."

She didn't speak again and soon she was asleep, her breathing more even then it had been in weeks.

Mallory moved quietly, trying not to jostle her back awake, and moved her so that she was lying in bed again. She felt a hand grip hers and couldn't help smiling even though a tear leaked down her face. She settled down on the floor, knowing she was going to be sore in the morning but seeing the slight smile that appeared on the young girls face would make it all worth it.