Snap

Jay didnt like therapy.

It was weird. Sitting in a bright room with his family and having the blonde woman ask them to talk about whatever they could about the Isle.

He knew he didnt have it the worst there. At least his thieving meant he ate better than some but it was strange that the woman wanted to learn more about it.

What was so interesting about that hell hole anyway?

It made him on edge to be here. To see the way his family shifted uncomfortable under the thoughts of speaking about that place. The twitch that Carlos got when she touched just a little too close to the memory of Cruella and years spent working every day in the hope it would meet her ever changing criteria of clean. How Evie flinched ever so slightly at the mere mention of food as the conversation brushed tentatively close to the childhood spent starving in locked rooms. Or how Mal hadnt moved for the entire time. Her hand locked tightly with Evies like it had been since they entered. Maybe she was hoping that if she stayed still then the memories wouldnt catch her. Wouldn't drag her down further than even Evie could drag her out.

Jay couldnt lie and say he was fine but the worst part was that Elsa wasnt even asking about their lives. She was lost on some story of her sister falling out a tree since none of them were comfortable talking yet. She was laughing at how she'd fallen into a big pile of leaves and how she'd popped up, freckles and all trying not to laugh at her own mistake.

Jay could hear the snap.

But it wasnt sunny like she said, it was raining, making the trees and rocks slick.

Jay could see it all. Playing out in his head with some sick clarity as they clambered up, trying desperately to make it out. To put some distance between them and the beasts that snapped at their ascending heals.

They were young. Naive. Before they learned that their small family should stay that way. Before they'd closed themselves off from any other who dared get close. Sure they had a gang of sorts but they didnt let them get to close. At least thats what they'd told themselves because that day had almost broke them.

The tree branch had snapped and she'd yelled his name.

He'd reached for her.

Stretched until his fingers brushed across her own, outstretched and getting further away. Hazel eyes had widened as his hand tried to grip her own.

Ungloved fingers slipped past each other and she screamed. A piercing note as gravity took hold and she began to fall towards the snarling dogs that circled. Waiting.

He told them he would always catch them.

She hit the floor with a sickening crunch and for a moment her face was clear as she stared at him, mouth open in shock or pain or maybe both. The others had screamed too, yelling her name.

The dogs pounced and Jay turned away.

By the time he reached the top the screaming had stopped.

They stood at the top for a long time. Long enough for the sky to darken and the rain to stop. None of them spoke.

He tried to blink the remaining water from his eyes and suddenly he was in that bright room again and Elsa was looking at him in worry. His hand were balled into fists, white knucles as he focused on her face. Bright blue eyes watching him... waiting for him to speak or maybe just breathe.

"Her name was Ginny."

He jaw clamped shut as the others snapped their eyes to him, even Mal unfreezing as her hand found his fist. Not to stop him but to comfort, to make him realise he didn't have to speak.