Puppy Love

Today at 20 years old Cameron Boyce passed away. As a dedication this chapter is all about Carlos and his mother.
My heart goes out to his family and friends at this tragic time. Rest in Peace.

"Can you pass me those scissors dear?" Small hands darted forwards and the scissors were in her hand in second.

Cynthia smiled.

"Thank you darling." Carlos tried to hide the beaming smile after the praise.

Cynthia was always thanking him. Praising him. She smiled softly whenever he caught her eye, beamed whenever he asked a question. She laughed at his jokes, asked question when he spoke about his inventions, kissed his head when he went to sleep.

She was loving, kind, nurturing... everything a mother should be. He had been told of the other boy before him. Five years old was young to go, though older than some on the Isle, and he had mourned with her for the son she had lost. She'd shown him photos of the boy. Blonde hair and bright green eyes so different from his own but the freckles across his face were the same. He had the same birthmark on his hip and she was adamant they had the same laugh, the same smile and dimples that he now possesed.

"Do you miss him?"

It was the first question he'd asked her, a month into their stay here and she'd touched the photo softly. A sad smile on her face.

"Every day. He was my little pup... I think he would have liked to have a brother like you."

Brother.

The words had startled him so much he had almost choked on his own tongue. It was the first time in his life any version of his mother had spoken of him as a son. He'd stared at her, open mouther and her soft smile morphed into something else. Something soft and calming and making him want to burst into tears like he hadn't done since he'd started double digits.

"You may not have been born from my womb Carlos but you are my son. You bare my blood and one day, maybe when you feel up to it you'll take my last name of this world too. But for now I am content to just have you near me."

He had felt the tears come down his cheek and she didnt slap him or give him something to cry about. She brushed the tears away with the softest hand he had ever felt and her own eyes watered.

"My beautiful boy. I may not have got to raise you but you are my son." The sob broke through his chest before he could stop it and she suddenly had him in a hug. "You are not a replacement for my son but another one. A new son and I hope you can forgive me one day."

"F-for what?" He managed to choke out and felt the tears drip into his hair.

"For not being there from the beginning. I will never let you go again. Never. You are my son Carlos and if that woman dares shows her face here I will rip her to shreds."

The last part was a growl and normally it would have sent Carlos shrinking into the corner. Trembling and terrified but this time... this time all it did was make him sob harder.

He had family. Mal, Jay, Evie. They had earned their titles as family a hundred times over throughout his life but he har never had a mother. And now he did.

Carlos De'Vil sobbed for hours, clutching onto his mother for dear life as a lifetime of pain and sorrow and the need for a mother affection barrelled out of him. And Cynthia held him all night, well past he was done crying and whispered promises of protection and love for as long as he wanted her.

"You are dreaming again darling." His grown eyes found hers and she was smiling again though concern whirled in her eyes.

"I was thinking maybe we could add a few more stitches here and here." He pointed to the design. "To create a more intricate pattern." His mother smiled.