Chapter 1 - Handprint

Words: 1191 Published: 17/1/2021

"Next rumour will be the walls started caving in or some shit..." Virgil's friend, Janus, chuckled while eating a sandwich in the canteen. The pair of childhood friends were discussing the recent rumour going around that the recent power cut was caused by 'paranormal activity'. The outage had only lasted around an hour which of course the high school students explained was due to ghosts rather than electricians just purely knowing how to do their job.

It was a running joke that Virgil and Janus' high school was haunted. There were just a lot of coincidences – and there wasn't a single logical thinker in the entire school apart from Janus and Virgil. Previous rumours had included books falling on the floor in the library (counterpoint was that gravity existed), cupcakes being stolen in the canteen (who wouldn't steal food though was the real question) and random songs being sung in the hallway after classes (bored students do exist – doesn't mean they're dead). Pretty much everything that happened in the school's four walls resorted to ghosts.

"Your eyeliner's not straight." Virgil heard his best friend mumble; flicking the side of Virgil's face with a soft chuckle making Virgil give a judgemental look and roll his eyes, waiting to finish his mouthful before speaking.

"Is anything about us straight JJ?" A happy mumble came from Janus as a response while he pretended to straighten his LGBTQ+ Alliance pin (although there was no club - he was the only member). Virgil didn't have any pride themed pins to straighten in response, Janus was a lot more confident in himself so always wore three pins on his yellow t-shirt: rainbow pin, genderqueer pin with he/him and they/them pronouns, and Head of the LGBTQ+ Alliance pin. The brightness of his clothing and his unshuttering confidence always made him stand out in crowds. Virgil, on the other hand, preferred darker colours along with his signature back eyeliner and at times black eyeshadow. He didn't like to categorise himself into any boxes – he just didn't find the concept of sex appealing and had a crush on Janus once in eighth grade that faded after six months or so. "You planning anything after school?" Virgil eventually said again, watching other students have their conversations in their separate friendship groups which usually left him and his friend alone.

"Oh, you know, rob a bank – kill a dude – the usual." Janus smirked. "You?"

"Gotta get some physics homework done..." Virgil mumbled, unsure whether to himself or his friend but mainly just thinking about the questions he'd struggle with and wondering whether to do the work at home to avoid bursting into tears in the library surrounded by other students.

Virgil heard his friend chug down his drink and quickly stand. "I forgot I had a detention." Janus stuffed a cupcake into his mouth, wrapper included, and swung his bag over his shoulder. Virgil giggled, knowing how forgetful he was at times. After Janus gave one last thumbs up he was gone, and Virgil decided to take this opportunity alone to go to the bathroom before classes.

He eventually found the closest bathroom, walking in minding his business by keeping his eyes to his feet. At least that's what he planned to do, before realising a familiar student was hanging upside down in front of the door with his devilish grin and a confetti gun.

The confetti exploded all over Virgil before he had a chance to speak, causing only a scowl to escape. "Congratulations! You're gay!" An acquaintance, a senior by the name of Remus DeMort, cheered as he jumped off the doorframe he was hanging from. Virgil pushed through not talking to the man. He often targeted Virgil and Janus for his pranks, they were harmless pranks but Virgil still hated them. "Is that not good news?" Remus giggled again, blowing another confetti gun just as Virgil shut the stall door. There was nothing to say definitely that Virgil was gay, he had kept his sexuality a secret for that reason, but by the power of association he was often viewed as gay to the whole school – including Remus unfortunately. Eventually Remus got bored so he left the bathroom, and Virgil finished what he needed to do. He left the stall to wash his hands, swearing at the air under his breath.

"Two fucking years until fucking college..." Virgil whispered, looking at the mirror for a moment. Then he saw it. Out of the corner of his eye was frighteningly, unexplainably a fully formed handprint. It just faded in out of no-where – and stayed there. "The f..." Virgil kept his eyes on it, turning off the tap and pausing there. "Hello?" Virgil laughed in order to not scream, bringing his hand up to touch the mirror the same way as the handprint. After a few seconds, and a long silence, he let go of the mirror and the handprint faded quicker than Virgil believed humanly possible.

The bell rang indicating class was starting. Virgil stared ahead of himself blankly, unsure of what to do. He couldn't find any reasoning why that handprint was there. He was alone apart from Remus, and the handprint wouldn't stay that long if Remus did it. After a few more minutes of shocked silence he decided the best action was to pick the confetti bits out of his hair and carry on with his day. Maybe he could ask his teacher about condensation next chemistry class.

*****

"You know – he was actually pretty chill." Roman said, filing his metaphysical fingernails with his close friends beside him. "He didn't put me in the spotlight though so – I don't like him."

Logan sighed, turning a page of the book he was reading while cleaning his glasses (even though the glasses were always clean as Patton reminded him, it was just a habit). Patton was too entertained with cleaning the small room the three were relaxing in to bother reminding him of that fact however. "We're lucky no-one's called an exorcist with the amount of attention seeking you need Ro. I'm sure he's a perfectly rational, reasonable, living human."

"Logan, we're stuck in a school for the rest of eternity. We need some entertainment." Roman moaned again, making the nailfile disappear then smirking at his book loving friend. "You're finding entertainment by sneaking into classes you missed and stealing library books – I give you two more years before you start haunting. Pat – what's your bet?"

"Bet for what? Cupcakes?" Patton quickly turned his head, giggling at the thought of cupcakes. After years and years Patton had still not got bored of the canteen cupcakes. Roman nodded quietly and explained the 'bet'. "Oh, I don't know, Logie did always like reading. And they always update the library at the end of the year."

Roman scowled but then laughed, and Logan smiled and continued reading. He loved the peace and quiet, although he didn't seem to get that often. He enjoyed the fact that he wasn't alone for eternity either. "What was the name of that kid you annoyed then?" Logan could hear Patton ask again. Roman paused for a few seconds before answering.

"Virgil Church I think. He's a Junior – so won't know of us."