Chapter 19 - Mr Thomas Aristotle

TW - Very sad, mentions of death of course. All at the POV of Logan and Patton's father.

Words: 2191 Published: 19/4/2021

Thomas Aristotle was always a smart man. Born 1969, graduated the local state university with a major in economics and working as an accountant. You wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd, but there was one very important and very secretive thing about him – he owned and used a diary.

24th of December 1994

I haven't written in this diary since I was a child but today is the day! Well, technically yesterday was the day. The day I married my wife. It was only a small gathering of our families as we wanted but it was still the best moment of my life. She looked absolutely stunning in her white dress – and yes I cried.
But later at dinner (my homemade curry – her favourite) she mentioned having kids. Of course it wasn't the first mention – we met in college and since it's been a few years the topic of kids has been more and more talked about. But now we're married I suppose that's the next step. We both want a son too – but of course we wouldn't hate having a daughter instead. Just imagining a little Aristotle is making me smile wide even now.

2nd of October 1995

I was awake at 2am today and this time it wasn't because of a spreadsheet I needed to make that was due for the next morning. I have a son! We have a son I should say, my wife and I. Maybe when little Logan is older I can show him this and he can see how I'm struggling to write because I'm so excited! His name is Logan Robert John Aristotle (we couldn't decide on a middle name so went with both options) and he is perfect. He's a quiet baby, but the midwife said that was just his temperament. He just has beautiful wide blue eyes that are already looking at everything and everyone with upmost curiosity.
I suppose this diary will also include all his achievements as I feel so proud of him already and all he'd done is cry, poo and sleep. I can already imagine all he'd be when he grows up – a teacher, a rocket scientist, a doctor, a lawyer. Honestly I don't care what he'll be because he'll always be my son.

My wife is beginning to talk about having a second child already. And honestly I'm not against it at all, Logan deserves a sibling and I'm so excited for what's to come.

25th of August 1997

So... It happened again. We have another son: Patton Karl Aristotle. Logan was the most excited to see him – he kept on asking questions, just as he usually does, including "why Mommy hurt?" and "when Patton here?" – but once he was with his new brother he was immediately the best big brother I could ask for. He even sang happy birthday to his baby brother!
The two boys look quite different already which is nice. The midwives have been saying how much Patton looks like me, although he's definitely a lot louder already (like my wife – hopefully she doesn't read this soon). He already has a small tuft of curly golden blond hair that is exactly like mine. Logan looks more like his mother with the darker hair and eyes – but is already a glasses wearer like me as he walked into a lamppost last week.
But we definitely have our work cut out having two boys under two, and I'm preparing again for sleep deprived nights. People are calling us rabbits for it – Logan loves the name and tries to hop about like a bunny every time he hears it and that makes all the insults better. We've decided to not have another now though – our boys are perfect and they're all we need.

2nd of February 2002

Another tiring but amazing day. Every day with my sons is amazing to be honest. At the moment Patton's in bed with me and my wife – he's refusing bedtime and instead wanting to chat about his day at Kindergarten. We love late night cuddles – Logan's in a phase where he's too old for it and wants to be independent so he takes himself to bed nice and early. Patton can't stop talking – and I'll try my best to transcribe his rambles.