Chapter 20 - Love, Family, Kisses and Ambrosia

Final chapter! Thanks for reading this all - and hope you enjoy the end!

Also I found that the culture that I imagined Janus to be (were Veja sounds like the word for snake) actually has Janusz (similar spelling/pronunciation of Janus) as a relatively common name. So I'm all for Janus Veja being Polish in this AU.

And yes, this final chapter is very long.

Words: 3360 Published: 21/4/2021

"Ambrosia's ready!" Remus cheered into the living room. He and Janus had made the ambrosia together, arms around each other as if they had been dating for years. All the affection had become sickly sweet. Patton and Roman immediately put the Nintendo Switch down (they had been playing Mario Kart – and failing as the maps had completely changed from when they last played) and ran to the kitchen with no hesitation. Virgil and Logan were a little slower in their movements. They had been sitting at opposite sides of the sofa doing and saying nothing but staring at each other. Like two soldiers at battle they were waiting to see who spoke first.

Virgil was hurt, although he'd never admit it. He did have a crush on Logan even though he tried to let it go. The only hope he had of letting it go was that Logan was straight but that was a fallacy. He was gay, or at least attracted to guys, but Virgil already knew he was way out his league. At least he had someone else in his life that he wanted to explore his sexuality with – he should be happy his friend was actually getting the courage to be himself – yet he couldn't stop being hurt. He wanted that mysterious new guy to be himself, and he couldn't handle watching another believed-to-be-soulmate decide he wasn't enough.

He was brought back to life again with Logan's quieter, slightly more nervous, voice. "Virgil? Do you want to come and watch?"

There was a dining table in the kitchen, only big enough for three seats but that was all the group needed. The ghosts sat around the table with the ambrosia salad in the middle. There wasn't any particular smell it omit, there wasn't any sound it made, it looked just ordinary. "Are you sure this actually works?" Virgil couldn't help but say – he was reminded that he was never given any research that actually told him all this hassle was worth it.

"The books say so, work has never been done specifically on ghost resurrection though." Logan mumbled, scooping a spoon of the ambrosia and placing it on a nearby paper plate. "Are we all ready?"

Patton clapped and grabbed his spoon – although he had used it previously in order to get the large pile of ambrosia on his plate. Remus and Janus sat on the counter together, laughing at each other before counting down.

"10...

9...

8...

7...

6...

5...

4...

3...

2...

1!"

Logan, Patton and Roman took a large bite of the ambrosia and chewed, waiting. Patton clutched onto Logan's arm in excitement making Logan chuckle softly and catch the food in his mouth. Roman pouted at this reaction and held Patton's free arm. Then they waited – and waited more – until minutes passed and nothing happened.

"So... That's it?" Remus got off the counter he was sitting at, standing instead behind his brother who finished his mouthful more forlorn. Patton was still shovelling mouthfuls, but it was no use. "It... It didn't work." Roman dropped his spoon and used the free arm to rest on Remus' nearby hand. This was it. He was dead forever.