Chapter 13 - How Does a DeMort Love?

I can't tell if this is cute or sad but at least there's some Royality at the end (and some Creativitwins).

This is basically just a Royality chapter so have fun with that!

Words: 2412 Published: 5/4/2021

--------------------------------------------

"Look at that bird Roman!" Remus shouted, a metre or two ahead of his older brother as they walked through the park to get to school. This was a regular thing, whenever the two boys missed the school bus – which happened often as they both overslept - the two DeMorts walked to school together. First Roman dropped his little brother at elementary school, where it was his final year, and then Roman went to high school where it was his penultimate year. Roman looked up to the tree where his little brother was pointing, seeing a small yellow bird with grey-ish wings. The bird was chirping happily and minding itself. Remus seemed happy just standing in the middle of the path and watching it – but that allowed Roman to catch up. "It's a pretty bird isn't it?" Remus was smiling wide and looked up at his older brother. Roman smiled softly at him, loving seeing his little brother grow – he was not looking forward to seeing his innocent little bundle of 'joy' become an argumentative middle schooler. Remus may not be his kid, but he's a kid Roman loved.

"Come on squirt, we've got somewhere to be." Roman mumbled and ushered his brother forward. Remus ran forward but kept looking back. Years in the future Remus would look back on these memories, thinking of them with happiness but with a depressive tone. But for now, Remus was an excited and chaotic 10 year old that Roman adored.

Roman fiddled with his red denim jacket, watching Remus run and get distracted by birds again. He should stop taking this path to school with his little brother but he loved it. The park was so pretty and walking through it meant they got to the elementary school quicker so his little brother would be able to chat to his friends before classes started. It did mean Roman would be most likely late, but it was better that way. He took a deep breath to take in the summer breeze that was fading. It was only the third day of his junior year and he'd rather miss the first few minutes of lesson. Such a thought made him laugh at himself.

Closer to the elementary school usually Remus' classmates had their parents walk them to school. Remus didn't mind he had his older brother instead, in fact when the school was in sight Remus ran back to his brother and walked with him. He wanted to show his amazing big brother to everyone. He even told everyone at school whenever his brother was in the school play; including the time and date the play was on. And Roman appreciated the publicity, calling him his 'little PR agent'... Maybe that why Remus would be majoring in business and marketing years in the future from this moment.

Roman knelt down slightly to be level with his brother and ruffled his hair. "Good luck today little bro – you'll kill it." It was a sentence repeated every day Roman walked his brother to school but Remus still smiled wide hearing it. When Remus heard a friend shout his name he turned and ran towards the school, but not before hearing a shout. "Re! Give your old brother a hug!"

Remus definitely missed his brother's hugs. His mother wasn't that much of a hugger, but Roman definitely was. Teenage Remus would give anything to have his brother's arms around him again – although he supposed they were only so nice because Roman's arms were big enough to go around his entire body. Maybe when Remus got older the hugs wouldn't be as good as they reached the same size. Even so, Remus missed the hugs that were now impossible with his brother being a ghost.

Roman walked into class quietly, hoping he'd magically turned invisible so the teacher couldn't see him since he was late. He was not that lucky, the teacher paused his lecture to make eye contact with Roman and sigh. "I thought we left this tardiness in 10th Grade Mr DeMort. Take a seat."