Chapter 10 - January 2014

... So this is quite angsty - sorry about that.

TW - Huge mention of death, mention of murder, blood and wound mention. Tell me if there's anything else I missed!

Words: 1489 Published: 19/03/2021 (my birthday in two days woo)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan took a deep breath as he walked out of his Spanish classroom, looking at his watch for the time. It was lunchtime – which he was happy about. He needed to do some history revision for a test fifth period and lunchtime was the best time to do it. He wasn't usually disturbed by anyone at lunch so he could eat quietly and read his flashcards. He did have friends – they were just the type that only assembled when all of them were free from homework and extra-curricular clubs. That wasn't too often but it still counted.

"Logie!" Logan heard his familiar scream and a weight on his back with a giggle. Of course, his best friend was his little brother – they had a close age gap so grew up like twins. He would do anything for him. "How was Señorita Lopez? Has she had her baby yet?" Patton appeared beside his brother, his smile wide and his curly hair bopping. His usual blue shirt seemed shorter today – maybe he tried to cut it into the crop top he saw in the store last week.

"You saw Miss Lopez two hours ago Pat – no she's not had her baby." Logan laughed, watching Patton walk backwards in front of him. He loved his brother's enthusiasm, and he especially loved babies and little kids so even the news of their Spanish teacher's new arrival would make his month. Logan knew Patton would make an amazing kindergarten teacher, as that was his dream job. "Are you eating lunch with me today?" That whole being alone in order to revise at lunchtime didn't matter for Logan when it came to Patton. His brother was the loudest person he knew but every moment with him made him smile. It was the only thing that made him wonder whether moving out of state for college was a bad idea – but Patton reassured him they'd call every day and night. Nevertheless Logan wanted to grab the bull by the horns this senior year and take every opportunity to make his brother smile – as easy as that was – before saying goodbye.

"Of course I am! What's the date today?" Patton cheered, still walking backwards and opening one of the many textbooks he was holding. Logan was always impressed by Patton's skill to walk backwards, there were a lot of weird things Patton could do easily first try but walking backwards was definitely the most unique.

"20th of Janua..." Logan was interrupted spotting one of Patton's classmates, a theatre nerd named Roman, silently walk behind Patton and wait until he was in reach before hugging him around the waist from behind. Patton playfully screamed and giggled in response, his pupils immediately dilating and a blush daring to creep on his cheeks. "Good afternoon Roman."

Roman laughed then cleared his throat, tilting his head towards the clock on the wall just above the lockers. The clock said it was 5 minutes until noon. Logan would swear Roman snuck out of class early to correct Logan when he said 'good afternoon' too early. "Touché, good morning Roman."

"Good morning Calculator Watch." Roman smiled triumphantly, his arms still wrapped around Patton but were quickly removed once he realised other students were looking. He then walked next to Logan so Patton could continue his eccentricity of walking backwards. "I have a huge favour to ask you – well, both of you technically." Roman spoke gently, a nervousness appearing in his voice and stance as the three of them slowly realised the amount of judgemental glances they were getting. Patton and Logan tried to ignore it and ushered Roman to continue. Roman turned his head to Patton completely, which Logan wasn't surprised by, he knew any favour from the junior was never directed at him but rather his little brother that Roman absolutely adored. "Can you come see me perform in Romeo and Juliet after school? I could really use one of your hugs backstage Pat, it always calms my nerves."

Patton of course nodded, a slightly bigger leap in his step as he tried to contain his excitement. Of course Logan knew he was also invited backstage by proxy as he was his brother's ride to and from school on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. And he didn't mind, Roman was a good friend to his brother even though he was insufferable sometimes.

-------

Roman woke up. He had an awful pain in his stomach that faded once his eyes opened. His breath was still hitched, his eyes were getting used to the darkness he had found himself in. The last thing he could remember – he didn't even want to go into detail about it – but he knew whoever that man in black was, he was bad news.

He sat up, realising the familiar silhouettes around him. He was still in the theatre, backstage, the last place he could remember being in. But it was dark – the stage was empty. Did he faint and miss his first ever lead role? Did everyone leave without him? He groaned and clutched his stomach as he stood, gasping and holding onto a nearby wall before seeing something he never wanted to see.

Patton and Logan were lying together on the floor, Logan laying on top of Patton and both of them clutching onto each other like their lives depended on it. There was a pool of liquid on Logan's back and Patton's shoulder. When Roman looked down he saw a similar looking pool at the front of his red shirt – right on top of the painful area he was clutching. He was hurt, they were hurt, they were all hurt and left in the darkness by staff and students. Roman got on his knees and started to shake Logan – they needed to get to hospital quick and only Logan had a car. "Specs! Logan! Get up buddy – we need you to drive!" He screamed, eventually getting Logan to move slowly as if he was just waking up from a dream. He ran to the door of backstage, grabbing the handle and trying to open it but failing. "Fuck... Pat can you see if the fire exit is unlocked?"

Roman noticed the brothers sit up out of the corner of his eye, but they didn't seem to have the same urgency to move. Logan was the first to wake and sit up, holding a still asleep Patton in his arms and looking at him confused. He stroked his little brother's hair, still in silence, and bit his lips to stop tears from falling. "Wait..." Roman whispered, pausing what he was doing for a moment and his expression changing from anger to sadness. "He's not already dead. He can't be... Fucking open door!"

"We're all dead Roman." Logan eventually said clearly through the crashing and banging Roman was creating trying to open the door, showing his greying body to Roman. Even though Logan was obviously crying he seemed to be able to speak with no hint of emotion – a skill Roman wished he had at that moment. He shook his head, giving up with the door and walking back over to Patton. "The man... killed us." Logan sighed in defeat, and slowly Patton's head shook signalling he was waking up. Logan didn't let go of his little brother and kept his eyes on him in silence.

Patton's eyes widened, the blue in them disappearing and being replaced with a dull grey. Roman could feel his heart drop thinking about how those blue eyes he couldn't stop staring at were now a memory. It took a while for Patton to get his bearings, looking around before realising who he was being held by. "Logan? Is this the afterlife? You're here with me?" Patton whispered, somehow sounding more excited each question. Logan gave a small smile and a nod. Patton gasped, tears falling also but quickly holding his brother in a hug and falling to the floor again.

Logan grunted as he hit the floor, even though he could not feel any part of him actually hitting it and let a small laugh escape. "I took the bullet for you. I love you to infinity."

Patton smiled wide and responded as he always does. "I love you to infinity plus a million!"

Roman cleared his throat. He loved the cute brotherly bond Patton had with his brother but he needed attention too. Especially since he was leaving his little brother in the living world with all the grief over his death. Remus wasn't even in middle school yet and he'd have to deal with the fact his older brother was killed, in cold blood, for some reason not even Roman knew. He was starting to regret calling the little guy annoying that morning.

"Roman!" Patton screamed, giving his best friend a similar hug that caused both of them to fall to the floor. "I can't wait to spend eternity with you!"