Chapter 3 - Break In

Hi again!

Summary of this chapter is Janus and Virgil break into their high school even though Logan, Patton and Roman try to scare them away. 

And yes, I did make Patton and Logan brothers. They're not twins as Logan is a year older than Roman and Patton.

Also - Veja sounds like another language's word for snake. If you can guess the language you're cool.

Words: 2122 Published: 29/1/2021

------------------------------

Janus lay in his bed Friday night, just reading to entertain himself and playing cultural folk songs to pass the time and make the world around him truly peaceful. It wasn't often he had hardly any homework to do so could take a whole evening and night to relax. He took a deep breath to embrace the silence he finally had – let's just say the Veja family weren't the quietest.

"JANY! VIRGIL'S AT THE DOOR TO SEE YOU!" Case and point, Janus' mother was screaming up the stairs even though he knew she was stood just beside the staircase before answering the door. Janus took a deep breath again and put the bookmark in his book – not closing it as he knew Virgil would usually give him an opportunity to read if he asked.

Janus sprinted down the stairs immediately spotting Virgil dressed in the same outfit he wore to school that Friday, with his backpack on that presumably held all his school books as well as a black and purple duffel bag he often used to carry his things to sleepovers. Janus' mother went back to the kitchen as soon as Janus approached his friend. Virgil looked obviously shaken up by something.

"What happened V? Did something happen at home?" Janus whispered gently, shutting the door behind Virgil as he stepped in. He was biting his lip, a nervous habit, and staring at the ground as if that was a thousand times more interesting than his concerned best friend. Virgil didn't respond and looked towards the stairs, and Janus could read his mind automatically. "Yeah, go to my room. You need water or anything?"

Again, Virgil gave no sort of response and ran to his friend's bedroom. Janus sighed, got a hot chocolate for both of them as it was something they both enjoyed, and also went to his room.

There, Virgil was sat in a ball on the floor. His eyes were in deep thought staring at the yellow rug even when the drink was placed in front of him. Janus looked at the time – 6:45pm. Virgil would definitely stay for sleepover. The only thing that made Virgil move his head was when his best friend sat opposite, giving him an equally worried look. "Virgil, what happened?" Janus spoke gently.

"I actually saw a ghost." Virgil whispered, his voice wouldn't be heard if the two friends' faces weren't centimetres apart. His voice was raspy and harsh. Janus couldn't help but chuckle and roll his eyes. "No, JJ, I did. It was a spiritual orb – in the library. Jan you have to believe me!" Virgil sounded exasperated and close to tears. Janus had no option but to sigh.

"What did it look like?"

"It was this dark blue orb... Like a perfect circle." Virgil said gently, still thinking. "And it made a quiet tingling sound. And it understood me – it showed me a textbook!" Virgil turned to his school bag and got out a philosophy textbook, where he had made the page crease halfway in. "Have a read. They're a thing J! I actually saw a ghost!"

Janus opened the book at the crease, a chapter called 'spiritual orbs'. He read what it said in silence, Virgil watched him enthusiastically, and a tiny smile finally graced his lips. It took a few minutes of silence, a silence both of them enjoyed, and Virgil got out his phone to entertain himself. Virgil's focus on the game he was beginning to play was interrupted by his best friend's laugh.