Chapter 16 - "For Me?"

Logan contemplates his life, and then decides it's best to trust his brother, his friend, and Virgil. The only problem is that they need to escape the high school - so they practice possession together.

TW - R slur

Words: 2787 Published: 12/4/2021

Patton hadn't talked to Logan all day since their argument. In some cases that was good – Patton angered him so he wanted to calm down but also Logan knew how emotional his brother could be. But he didn't want to leave his peace, he was in the darkness with another new book and examining the few students he could see make their way into the library. Lessons had just finished – another day in eternity was gone – and Logan had to admit that this was the worst death day by far. He sighed and leaned back against the bookshelf, closing his eyes for a moment.

Logan was in this particular corridor of the library with his friends once. It was the beginning of sophomore year exams and Logan wanted to keep his high grades so had insisted his need to revise. His friends wanted to hang out with him somewhere else but the library was the only option Logan wanted. He often wondered whether he should have done more for his friends. He was never really a good person to them...

*****

"You're so lucky being placed with Ashley on this project." Logan remembered his friends saying excitedly as they all ate together in the canteen. Junior Logan was now sat in the library on the floor, books on the De Stijl surrounding him as he was glancing at his project members. The teacher picked the groups so Logan didn't know the people he was with too well. The two other male group members, two members of the baseball team, were chatting amongst themselves about the new Percy Jackson film releasing soon. The pre-mentioned Ashley had disappeared – Logan didn't really know where and didn't care.

When Ashley appeared again she wore a wide smile, skipping over to the slacking teammates and trying to encourage them to gather some information. Logan gave them each a textbook so they didn't have to look themselves and Ashley sat opposite him.

"Aw Logan knows this place like the back of his hand, such a loner." The baseball man cheered, sniggering to his friend and refusing to even open the book given to him. "Do you even have any friends retard? Are you even going to kiss a girl before your dick crusts?"

Logan was used to ignoring their insults. Insults were common during his high school career, they didn't really phase him. The only times it bothered him was if they ever said anything bad about his brother – although they knew that was the way to get any reaction from him so it just made teasing more common. Almost immediately after this insult Ashley had something to say.

"Well he's my friend – right Lo?" Ashley punched Logan's arm with a slight smirk, drawing on the project. There were so many people in the school that would want to be Ashley's friend. She was nice to everyone and therefore everyone was nice to her; but a lot of guys also begged for something more with her. In response Logan chuckled and nodded, whispering to her about the assignment. If the boys weren't going to be particularly nice to him he wasn't going to be nice to them.

Ashley chewed the end of her pencil and twirled the ends of her ponytail, her eyes focusing on the work. For the first time Logan didn't focus on the work in front of him and instead her – trying to calculate her. Every other student said she was pretty, which objectively she was as she had the 'ideal' body figure, clean hair, a sense of style and could apply makeup well. He saw his classmates react to her often with their blushing faces or wide smiles or sudden nervousness. Surprisingly Logan felt nothing of the sort towards her at all even though he knew he should.

Later in the evening Logan helped his parents clean the dishes while Patton was chatting to his friends (Patton's laugh was always distinctive when with his friends – and he often used the landline to chat to a friend in the evenings as not all of them had mobiles). There was a low hum of conversation between the three of them, Logan discussing his group project with his parents. They didn't know much about art but always enjoyed letting their sons chatter on about whatever made them happy. Eventually the topic of who Logan was doing this project with came up.