Chapter 2 - Spiritual Orb

Hi again!

Just wanted to thank ringpopprince for letting me use this idea! Updates will be every Friday hopefully.

And yes I did change the cover again to include Logan's blue orb - the silhouette is meant to be Virgil. I'm not good at drawing.

Words: 2083 Published: 22/1/2021

----------------

Virgil was walking down the school corridor after classes, his hands stuffed into his pockets and his steps matching his best friend. "The handprint was just... There." Virgil mumbled, Janus at his side and explaining the spooky happenings in the bathroom – but quietly so that other students didn't hear. He wasn't the type to tell everyone about the ghost and spread rumours, but he felt as though his best friend was someone he needed to confide in. "I can see why people believe in ghosts if that's what people are seeing..."

"Or it could have just been someone using milk or something to startle you." Janus responded, a reasonable explanation as he always did. "Just dust milk on your hand, touch the mirror, and there it will stay until someone touches it – probably. There did have those rancid milk cartons free today."

Virgil rolled his eyes are turned to his locker, getting out a few books he was planning to revise from. He hadn't stayed after classes to work before, he never really needed to, but this once he did and the library was almost always empty after the school day ended. Virgil could see Janus sigh and lean against the neighbouring locker out the corner of his eye. "You know what, with how pessimistic you can be – you're surprisingly naïve." Janus spoke gently, Virgil knew he held all the care in the world in that one statement. "Just... Don't get caught up in all the rumours, alright bud? I won't be able to stand you if you just become a scary story spreader." Virgil chuckled slightly and received a punch in the arm from his best friend. The look of unlimited platonic love didn't go away. "See you Monday." Janus spoke quietly again, beginning to walk away.

"Enjoy robbing that bank Jan." Virgil giggled. Janus heard and automatically did a graceful turn to shout 'yes bitch' down the corridor. Once his best friend had fully disappeared round the corner Virgil took a deep breath, clutching his books to his chest and shutting his locker before walking to the library.

The library was always a peaceful place. It was one of the biggest rooms in the school, almost the size of the student canteen, and was full to the brim of books. Virgil seemed to remember that it won a 'best library in the state' competition it was so good. No students seemed to care about it at least – the only students Virgil could spot was a group of cheerleaders loudly doing a group project and ignoring the few teachers dotted around telling them to shush.

Virgil sat at one of the work tables at the centre of the library. He had managed to complete part of his physics homework in his math lesson (the two worksheets looked so similar the teacher couldn't tell a difference) so all he had to do was math and philosophy. He only took philosophy because it was Janus' favourite class and he wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Mostly the work just gave him an existential crisis so he procrastinated it to the maximum.

After completing the last page of his physics homework he turned his attention to the philosophy work. 'Religion and spirituality'... great. The last thing he needed was something else trying to persuade his life after death existed. But he knew he needed to be in the library to complete the homework. He had to reference this posh as shit philosophy textbook that was available for free in the library. Everything in the library was free to students.

"N... O... P!" Virgil whispered as he was trying to find the philosophy section. The only bad thing about having such a big school library was it was near impossible to find specific books unless you had literal eternity to read the spine of every book on every shelf. "Fuck, why isn't philosophy here? Philosophy begins with a p right..." He whispered to himself as he looked down at the small scrap of paper he wrote the name of the textbook on, his thoughts being interrupted by the cheerleaders screaming and sudden darkness.