Chapter 71

"University is so difficult." I hear one of the customers sitting by the window whines as I wipe down a table near by. 

"You're just lazy." Their friend replies. 

"It's a five page essay and I just want to draw, is that so much to ask?" 

"Then drop out." 

"You're no fun." 

"Your name is Mint. You're not aloud to talk to me." 

"It is my enby duty." Their friend declares. 

University. 

More and more over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about the idea of opening or owning a cafe. 

I've been wondering if I should attend a uni for some business management or something like that. 

Just as I'm thinking about it, Mrs. Ayoade enters the room from the back. 

"Mrs. Ayoade! I have a question." 

She walks over to me, not taking her eyes away from the paperwork in her hands. 

"Yes, dear?" 

"How did you open this cafe?" 

"Oh, I would love to talk to you about it over a cuppa, but I have something important to ask of you." 

"Oh, yes, anything!" I reply. 

"In around two weeks time, Richard is going to throw a little bit of a party for one of the actors that was in a film that he directed, nothing too big of course, he's not much of a party man at all but we were thinking of having it here. How does that sound?" she asks. 

"Well, that sounds lovely." I reply. 

"Good, I was hoping that perhaps we could bake some goodies, make some drinks, even decorate. Do you think you would be able to help me with it? I could pay you for your time of course, I know you're going through a move and all so no pressure." 

She speaks so quickly. 

"I would be honored to help. The move is just a couple days away, so... I should be fine in a couple weeks time." 

"The move is a couple days away?" She asks as she looks at me.

"Yes, Ma'am." 

She looks off into the distance for a moment.

"Sunday?" She asks. 

"Yes, Ma'am." 

She hums, looking as if she is doing some calculating in her mind. 

"Right, take the week off." 

"What?" 

"Take that week off. Next week, I mean. A move is very stressful and takes a lot of work, so take the week off, come back the week after and then help me plan for this party, alright?" 

"Of course! Thank you Mrs. Ayoade. You're the absolute best." 

"No worries, dear." She says, beginning to walk off. 

"Mrs. Ayoade," I call after her. 

"Yes?" she asks as she turns around. 

"I can work tomorrow to make up for some of the lost hours, if that's alright." 

"Of course. Could you open?" She asks. 

"Absolutely!" I say. 

"Brilliant, here-" she reaches into her pocket and hands me the spare keys. 

"For tomorrow." she says, patting my hand as she walks out the front door. 

I feel butterflies in my stomach. 

As she leaves the building and I slip the keys into my pocket, a pair of blue heads walk into the front door. 

"Welcome in!" I greet them and Matty immediately goes in for a hug. 

When he backs up, Rome offers me a warm smile and a wave. 

"What brings you two in?" 

"I'm starving." 

"Cheesecake's in." I offer. 

"Fuck, please." 

"Rome?" I ask, looking over at him. 

"I, uh... I gotta look at the menu first." he laughs nervously. 

"Right! Right... So sorry. We've got plenty of goodies." I say, picking my rag back up and walking them to the counter. 

Matty drapes himself across the counter as Rome reads the menu. 

"You have a green tea?" He asks, looking over at me. 

"Yes! We do! It's quite nice. I can make it in any form you'd like, hot or cold." 

"I'll have that, then." he says, smiling. 

"Of course. What size?" 

"Medium is fine." he says. 

"Hot or cold?" I ask. 

"Hot." 

"Very good." I smile, grabbing a cup for him. 

"Anything else?" 

"Coffee?" Matty smiles at me as he rests his chin in the palm of his hand. 

I smile. 

"Of course. Rome, see anything food wise you'd like? It's on me." 

"Oh, you don't have to do that." 

"No, no, I insist. It's your first time here." 

"Ah," he breathes, laughing as he scratches the back of his neck. 

"Sick. Thank you uh, what kinds of loafs are those?" 

I describe the different kinds of treats we have to Rome as the university student by the window approaches Matty, asking him if he is in fact Matty Healy from the 1975, and if they can get a photo with him. 

They have a small discussion while I make the drinks and serve up the treats on plates. 

Is this what owning a cafe would feel like? 

Liveliness and friends, while making them something to warm them up and bring them some joy? 

I have to admit, I'm enjoying the sound of it more and more.