Chapter 73

"Ow, fuck that's hot-" Matty exclaims as he shoves chips in his mouth. 

"Give it a minute to cool down, Christ, Matty-" Ross lets out. 

"Would you like a glass of water?" Ellie asks as she rubs his shoulder gently. 

"That would be lovely, thank you." Matty says as he shoots daggers in Ross' direction. 

I slump backwards against a pile of boxes. We were able to set up a sofa, a table, and some of the kitchen. 

I get a little lost in my thoughts as I look around the apartment, all the ideas flowing through my head about how to decorate as the realization that this is all real settles in my mind. 

It still feels so unreal to me, if I'm being honest.

"Sarah?" 

I jump as I snap back to attention. 

Matty is squatting next to me with his hand gently touching my leg. 

"Are you alright in there?" he asks, poking my head. 

"I'm alright," I say, grabbing his hand. "Just... Letting it all hit me. It feels so weird." 

He sits down completely, throwing his legs over my lap and hugging me close. 

"I know. God, it feels like yesterday you were just a little girl-" 

"You didn't know me when I was a little girl-" 

"Shut up."

Matty grabs my head and pulls it to his chest, resting his chin atop my head. 

"You're all grown up now. With your own flat, flatmate, dreams, ambitions-" 

"I wouldn't go that far. I still feel like a child sometimes." 

Matty backs up and looks at me. 

"It'll feel that way for a while. You may always feel that way. I certainly feel like a child sometimes." 

"I guess you're right. Maybe thinking about it too much is part of the issue." 

"That's what I always say." He says, tugging me closer to him as  Ellie enters the room with his class of water. 

"Cheers love, now if you could do me one favor and dump it on Ross' head there-" 

"Matty!" 

Matty smiles evilly as Ellie hands him the glass of water. 

"I won't do it. Yet." Matty mumbles into his glass. 

"Matthew-" Ross says. 

Matty freezes and looks over at him. 

"Oh, now you're in for it-" he gets up and him and Ross chase each other around, using boxes as their line of defense when they think they're about to be caught. 

Ellie comes and sits next to me on the floor, laughing with me as we watch them run in circles while Matty attempts not to spill his water. 

There's a lot more to do, but for now, I think I'm particularly enjoying myself.