Chapter 65

I wiped down the table in the cafe. 

Mrs. Ayoade was running the register, making some lovely smelling concoction for a happy customer. 

I smiled, looking back down at the table. It was clean at this point, so I dusted my hands off and pushed my bangs out of my face before turning around and putting some other chairs back in their places. 

After a few minutes, Mrs. Ayoade called out. 

"Sarah, dear?" 

"Yes, Mrs. Ayoade?" 

"Could I put you in charge here for a few hours? Richard and I have a meeting to go to in a bit." 

"Of course, ma'am! I'd love to man the fort." 

She smiled brightly at me. 

"Thank you so much, dear..." she glanced at her watch. "I suppose I'd better get going if I don't want to be late!" 

"See you in a few hours!" 

"Bye!" she called, grabbing her purse and walking out the door. 

I smiled, looking around the cafe, a few people were scattered here and there, minding their business and enjoying some lovely drinks and baked goods. 

I stretched for a moment and looked up as the bell above the door rang. 

I turned around and witnessed one of the most interesting looking men that I've ever seen. 

He was short, and very thin. 

His hair was jet black, and it just reached his shoulders, his bangs covering his eyebrows slightly. 

He had interesting facial hair, a sort of, mustache, with a break in the middle, and it came down past the corners of his lips, and a small patch rested just under his lower lip. 

I'd never quite seen someone with such a unique look. 

He reminded me of Luke, but this man looked older than him, yet still youthful. 

Something about the way he presented himself made him look reminiscent of a child, but he looked like someone who had been many places. 

He looked experienced. 

I was even more surprised as he looked up, flashing electric blue eyes at me, and a wide smile as he met my eyes. 

"Hello sir, how may I help you?" I asked politely. 

"Hi there," he began, and I was a bit taken aback by how high his voice was. 

It was soft, and slightly weird, but it was not the type of voice that I expected to come from such a man, though, as he continued, I found that it suit him pretty well. 

"Could I just get a coffee? With just a little bit of sugar?" he asked. 

"Yes, of course! I'll start on it right away!" I said, rushing behind the counter and loading the coffee maker just enough to make a cup. 

When I turned around, I'd expected the man to be sat down at a table, but I was surprised to find him at the counter, gazing over the baked goods. 

I observed him for a moment. 

He had many assorted rings on his fingers, and a treble clef tattoo on his wrist. 

He was so clean, I thought he must be some kind of famous artist or something. 

"Could I actually also get one of those muffins? They look dangerously tempting." 

"Of course! They're pretty delicious, if I say so, myself." I smiled, moving to grab a plate, and a muffin from the case.