[9]

The thought of descending the stairs while a spotlight shone directly above me, deeming me the center of attraction, scared the living patooty out of me

The thought of descending the stairs while a spotlight shone directly above me, deeming me the center of attraction, scared the living patooty out of me. But, for some reason, it gave Mida the yippies.

And by yippies, I meant an excited feeling that made one grin from ear to ear. Like she currently was.

"Just picture it, Cammie," my bubbly cousin squealed, her grip on my forearms tightening as her grin grew. "The glory. The excitement you would feel. The over-the-top rush you'll get when all eyes are on you." She paused a suggestive brow lifting. "Including Garth's."

If I had a drink in my mouth, I would have spat it out in her face and ruined her makeup. "Who says I want Garth's attention?" I nearly shrieked, my eyes widening. "Who says I want anyone's attention? Shouldn't they be focused on you, the bride?"

"To be," Mida corrected, gaze flickering down. Guess she'd accepted that fact-the one Simone had drilled into her-by now.

"It's not going to be long now." Her head snapped up, pupils dilating with emotion. I permitted a smile to gloss over my lips. "You're getting married in two days."

Her hands dropped from my forearms, and mine shot up to rub at the spots where her hands had been. She chuckled. "It's kinda terrifying, but it's a good terrifying. Like finally getting that flavor of ice cream you've always wanted but being uncertain because it comes in a box, and you're not sure what to expect. Thrilling."

I pointed playfully. "I don't think ice cream's supposed to come in a box."

"Shut up."

I laughed, shaking my head at her. "I'm very horrible at love advice, but I think if it were to be me in your shoes, you'd say," I paused to clear my throat. "'It's okay to be a little scared. Just don't let that fear deprive you of doing something good'."

The smile on her face didn't falter as she replied, "that sounds so cliché."

"You're cliché."

"I like to think of myself as sophisticated, thank you very much."

I giggled, reaching forward to place a hand on her shoulder reassuringly. "You'll be fine. Besides, you've been babbling about how excited you are to get married and have kids finally-"

"I never-"

"-ever since we were teenagers. I don't think any teenager could be as excited as you were for their future wedding."

"I still am."

"Then enjoy the making of your love story. Some people don't get the chance."

The smile fell off her face, and she frowned. "That's because those people don't want to give love a chance."

I opened my mouth to retort and inform her that love didn't come easy for everyone, but she silenced me with a shushing sound. "The people are waiting. My maid of honor is probably standing at the top of the stairs wondering when I'll materialize, so it'll be really great if we could get a move on."