[11]

The confident smile never left Mida's face as all the attention in the room descended on her

The confident smile never left Mida's face as all the attention in the room descended on her. Her face was lit by the overhead bulbs of the chandelier above her.

"Tonight is the first night of my pre-wedding party. Thus, it marks the kick-off of the wedding!" she squealed. I joined the people in the room as they burst into applause, the sounds of my clapping hands seeming negligible compared to the uproar around me. Mida beamed with pride. "We're about to begin the series of couple's games," she further announced. "But before we do that, we have a list of people we want to appreciate for helping to make this day a reality."

"The list isn't anywhere near long," Shawn butted in with a dashing smile. "Just wanted to put it out there."

His comment made the audience, including Parker and I, chuckle in unison. I shifted my gaze from the couple on the stage to Parker, who was watching them with a wide smile on his face. In that moment, I let myself take in every tiny detail of him.

My heart clenched. Parker was happy being single, and here I was, totally tripping over him. The highest height we were ever going to be able to attain was friendship: I had to accept that.

"I'd like to thank my parents," my attention was quickly drawn back to Mida, who now had the slightest hint of sadness in her eyes even as she smiled. "Who aren't here now because they're really busy people." She shook her head, getting her head back in the game, I supposed. Her smile returned, brighter than ever. "My cousin and the one responsible for planning this entire event, Camsy Colbert. I love you, Cammie!"

Just like that, all the attention shifted to me. I flushed but didn't hesitate to shout an "I love you too" back at her. I thought I heard someone in the crowd coo as I did that.

From the stage, Mida blew me a kiss and went on with her vote of appreciation.

"So you're Mida's cousin." I turned to look at Parker, whose attention was now solely on me. A smile stretched on his lips. "No wonder you both look different." He was right. I did look very different from Mida. Her hair was blonde, unlike mine, which was dark. And I had freckles. "I think you look hotter, though."

He did not need to add that last part.

But he did. So, now, I was left gaping at him like a fish while he turned to face the stage again. Somehow, it felt like he was trying to tease me.

Though I knew he was just being nice, Mida looked way better than I was. I couldn't help the blush that went to my cheeks. I ripped my attention away from him and faced the stage too.

"And Marcus, my best friend in the whole world who hasn't stopped calling me throughout this entire process. Who dropped everything to support me." She motioned to Marcus, where he stood beside Simone, an arm wrapped around her waist while she flushed red. I wished Parker would hold me like that, weirdly. "Marcus's girlfriend and Cammie's bestie, who is a pain in my petunia, Simone." Simone blew a raspberry at her when Mida motioned in her direction. Shawn laughed at their silliness, shaking his head. "Garth, Shawn's amazing brother, for all his support."