[24]

You know that feeling you get when your parents are meeting your boyfriend for the first time? And you have to stand there and watch them grill the poor dude with their eyes, all the while increasing the tension

You know that feeling you get when your parents are meeting your boyfriend for the first time? And you have to stand there and watch them grill the poor dude with their eyes, all the while increasing the tension. Twiddling your thumbs and shifting your weight from foot to foot.

The English dictionary would describe it as embarrassment or awkwardness. With my head bent down and my cheeks hot, I felt eighteen again.

This embarrassment was probably as a result of the fact that I hadn't believed that I'd find love at Mida's wedding. From the arched eyebrow on my mom's face, she was certainly wondering how her daughter, who had practically died in the things of love, was now seeing a man.

"So," I heard dad begin, "this is the man you got." There was no mocking in his tone, just a double scoop of teasing.

The heat spread further as I stayed quiet. I raised my head and took a breath.

Mom had a smirk on her face by now. She nudged my father with her shoulder and shook her head, then walked closer to Parker, inspecting him. Like he was under a microscope. Amazingly, Parker didn't seem dazed. In fact, he was smiling at the both of them like he'd known they'd do this.

I had known they'd do this, but I wasn't smiling.

"Won't you introduce him to us, Camsy?" Ah, the dreaded question.

I cleared my throat and bit my tongue, warning it not to let out anything stupid. "Mom. Dad." They raised their eyebrows at me. I exhaled and slipped my fingers between Parker's, holding onto him for dear life. Mom's mouth formed an 'o' as she watched us, her gaze flickering to her husband briefly.

"This is Parker, my...er-" I cleared my throat again. "-my man." Whoo, that was weird.

Parker laughed while I fought the urge to hide behind him. Simone and Marcus's eyebrow waggling wasn't helping. Neither was Mida's smirking. The only person in this group that seemed to have pity for me was Shawn, who was encouraging me with multiple thumbs ups.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Colbert." He grinned at my parents.

My dad blinked and sent a glance to me before replying.

"The pleasure is ours, Parker."

"He's a charmer," mom beamed. To my dismay, she reached up and pinched his cheeks. "You're so cute."

Behind her, Simone whispered something to Marcus, and they laughed. I pouted.

"You're hurting him, Mom," I said, referring to the grimace on Parker's face. Before she could apologize, Parker shook his head.

"It's okay. My mother does the same thing lots of times."

"Women," dad chimed in with a snort. "Am I right?"

"Hold on a second, aren't you, Garth?" Mum questioned, a slight frown on her face. "From Wellington and Co."

Parker nodded. "Though, Camsy here prefers to call me Parker."