[29]

There was something different about Terry's coffee place today, and it didn't have anything to do with the new worker's uniforms

Terry's was warmer than the atmosphere outside, a welcoming sensation wafting in the air. The smell of coffee in the air was stronger, and the noise of the cafe was higher. Even the fans seemed to be spinning faster. My regular table looked different as well, too clean. The hard stain that had been on the top left corner of it yesterday was nowhere to be seen.

Maybe this wasn't my table.

"Hey, Cam!"

I lifted my gaze to smile at the passing waiter, who smiled back and threw a nod my way.

A lot had changed for me. I'd changed my hairstyle a month ago, right before Simone's wedding to Marcus.

Today, my craving for coffee was on the high side. I wanted it hot, black with a cube of sugar to ease my nerves. I also wanted a doughnut.

The waiter grinned and came closer, holding a notepad in his hand. "You came earlier than usual today," he commented with a slightly raised brow.

I sighed, leaning to the side and watching him. There was a reason why I was here early. My nerves had been all over the place since the beginning of this week since Mida was admitted into the hospital.

She had exceeded her due date, and yet she hadn't delivered. I was beginning to worry, but I wasn't the only one. Shawn and his parents had been worried sick ever since. Even Aunt Alice and Uncle Donovan were concerned. Though they were still the busy parents they normally were, they didn't hesitate to call and check on her almost every day.

Instead of telling the waiter all of my problems, I smiled and shook my head. "Work, Milo."

"Ah," he breathed. "It's gotta be tough having to juggle all those weddings, huh?"

It wasn't. In fact, I'd canceled all my appointments because of Mida's condition. Apparently, pregnant Mida was way worse than normal Mida. Besides that reason, after Parker left, I lost my wedding planner vibe. It was like Mida's wedding burned me out. So, after Simone's wedding, I took a break.

I pulled my lips into a line and nodded.

"I guess you'll have the usual?"

"Make it stronger, and reduce the sugar cubes to one. Also, I want a doughnut." I told him, thanking him as he excused himself to attend to my order. The only sign that he was beside me before was the whiff of his perfume that lingered in the air.

Subconsciously, I drew out my phone and checked if I'd gotten a message from Parker yet. I hadn't. Our old chats decorated the screen before me. Sighing, I dropped the phone to a side of the table and looked out the window at the cars that zoomed past and the snow covering most of the ground.

It'd been over a year since Parker had left. We'd kept in touch, never forgetting to speak to each other every day, telling the other person how our lives were going. At first, it was consistent, but with time our conversations got shorter until it was just a 'hey-hi' and 'how are you doing?' thing.