[30]

The distance was beginning to get to me

My hand tightened around the steering wheel as I drove the busy streets of Los Angeles, blowing my horn at crazy swerving drivers who retorted by throwing me multiple frowns. One even took a step further and blew a raspberry at me. Splendid.

I mean, it was Christmas today. You'd expect people to be merry and jolly. Maybe they were all stressed from work and strained relationships. Like I was-excluding the work part.

It'd been three weeks since Mida had given birth to Shauna-yes, Mida was bent on accepting her best friend's suggestion. Also, Parker hadn't replied, so-

Anyways, we were supposed to be meeting at Shawn's parents' house seven minutes ago for a Christmas reunion. Everyone was going to be there, my parents, Shawn's parents, Marcus and Simone, Shawn and Mida, and even Trent and Mida's parents were going to be there. But Parker wasn't. And I was running late.

I'd already received about twelve death threats from Mida on my way, and that was only fuelling my uneasiness. How was I going to explain to them that I was late because I'd been sulking at home over Parker's distance?

My worst nightmare was becoming real, right before me. Yet, I wasn't ready to believe that Parker had forgotten about me.

Finally, I pulled into the posh driveway of the Wellington parents, the gates opening up for me on their own accord. The guard threw a Curt nod my way and motioned for me to go on.

Cars were already parked outside their mansion, lined next to each other. After finding a spot to park mine, I got down, biting my lower lip. I probably looked like a mess. I had zero makeup on. I hadn't even brushed my hair properly this morning. I just ran a comb through it. Surely, some strands were sticking out in the cold wind. Sleep evaded me last night. Hence I had dark circles. My freckles were on full display, and I wasn't even trying in the outfit region.

Tucking my hair behind my ear, I exhaled and pulled my coat snugly over my body. I walked to the front door and rang the bell. Mida was going to have my head.

The door swung open, revealing Trent, who had two gingerbread cookies halfway to his mouth. He dropped his hand back down on seeing me and raised his eyebrows.

"Camsy!"

My eyes widened. "Hey, Trent!" He gave me a one-sided hug and pulled me into the house, shutting the door after.

"It's been so long. Look at you," he remarked. I stifled a snort. I surely looked way worse than before. But him, wow, he looked better.