[22]

I swirled the champagne in my shot glass, leaning against the bar, one leg crossed over the other while I sat on a barstool

I swirled the champagne in my shot glass, leaning against the bar, one leg crossed over the other while I sat on a barstool. The golden liquid was supposed to distract me from the noise around. It wasn't working.

There were four empty shot glasses arranged in front of me. I'd placed them there for a reason. This champagne was good, and I really needed that distraction. I lifted the glass in my hand and took a long sip, effectively finishing the contents of my glass. Slapping it back onto the counter, I raised my brows at the bartender.

"I want another."

With a nod, he went on to pour me another round of champagne shots.

My gaze wandered around the club, watching people jump up and down, screaming and gyrating in every direction, celebrating the newest couple around here. I was supposed to be amongst that crowd, but I was too busy with my own world. Mira and Shawn were probably talking to the Wellington parents.

Her parents had left a long time ago, immediately after the wedding. Said they had an important meeting to attend. When they had said this, I'd noticed the pain that flashed across Mida's eyes, but she was quick to hide it. Good thing Shawn noticed it as well and squeezed her hand for comfort. I swear, watching them made my heart constrict sometimes.

Anyways, Marcus's parents were having a relationship talk with Simone and Marcus. Informing them about how tough being in a committed relationship could be and all the bad things that could happen. They'd almost forced me to sit through their class, but I'd escaped-thank the heavens. I guess being a wedding planner was a great excuse for awkward conversations. No one would want to be stuck in a room receiving relationship advice while there was a party going on downstairs.

Speaking of parents, mine were also present. They had arrived late after Shawn and Mida were declared husband and wife. I'd spoken to them before, but it was mostly about my well-being and whatnot. Mom had asked if I'd gotten a man yet, and after turning red in the face, I'd excused myself from the awkwardness. Again, being a wedding planner had its perks.

I did not want to talk to my mother about Parker at my cousin's wedding. What if she'd said she wanted to meet him? Knowing her, she would have probably pinched his cheeks and told him how beautiful his eyes were. I'd just gotten the guy. No need to do anything stupid that would chase him away. Not happening!

"Are you alright?" The unknown voice drew my attention to the bartender, who was now staring at me with slight concern. His eyebrows were pulled together, and the sleeves of his white dressing shirt rolled up to his elbows. I wasn't sure if it was the alcohol beginning to tell on me, but he looked a little like a bad boy.

"You seem stressed," he pointed out.

Gaze drifting down to the now filled shot glasses before me, I lifted one and chuckled. "You don't say." I took the shot, slapped the glass back onto the counter, and stared him dead in the eye. "how did you figure that out."