CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"You are not hidden
There's never been a moment
You were forgotten..."
- Lauren Daigle, Rescue

~

As Aquilina sat in her AP English class Monday morning, her attempt to ignore the whispers and stares around her seemed to be failing

And that wasn't when it had even begun. Since she had walked into the hallways of Velvet Regent, she had found herself the centre of attention.

Many looked, some smirking and speaking about her in not-so hushed tones.

"I can't believe how quickly Francesco dumped her," a girl had said to her friends.

"Oh, puh-lease, this was bound to happen one way or the other."

"Did you see the pictures Audrey posted of Francesco and Rosa?"

Apparently, Audrey had done a very good job at filming and spreading the word about Francesco "dumping" Aqui.

And of course, such news was like a wildfire in a bush.

So as the class flew by, Aqui flipped through a novel they were to write a report on, trying hard to concentrate on it and ignore all those around her.

Don't let them get to you, she repeated over and over to herself. What they say doesn't matter.

She hadn't heard much from Francesco either, except for a brief text the previous night when she had been preparing for bed, which said,

Francesco: Hey, I'm sorry I couldn't stay with you till the end.  I'll make it up to you somehow.

When lunch finally came by, she was relieved that her duties at the MediCentre would keep her distracted for the time being.

She walked to her little cubicle to quickly drop a few of her belongings and pick her Music device — it kept her distracted whenever things were less busy at the Centre.

She opened the locker in her cubicle and a note fell out. As she picked it up and rose to her feet, she caught a sniff of a soft and delightful fragrance and saw a bouquet of rose-lilies in a ceramic porcelain vase sitting in her locker.