CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

(PLEASE TRY TO LISTEN TO THE ABOVE SONG)

"So, they all think I did it?" Aquilina swallowed hard

"Well, you are still innocent until proven guilty, though it may seem contrariwise — to them, at least. Everyone at the WACO knows you didn't." He looked sadly into his sister's eyes.

"I know you didn't." He added softly. He was trying his best to hold it in.

She kept a brave front, but he knew deep down inside, she was hurting.

"And you are... their lawyer?" She looked at him tentatively.

"Yes, they wanted me on this case. I took it because I knew I had to convince them about you. And what better way than this? They trust me for now."

He sat next to her on the bed and gently stroked her chin—though she tried to turn away at first.

"Skylah," he mentioned her middle name.

"It's going to be okay. We are on it, and I promise you, that you'll be exonerated before the next 48 hours are over," he stood up and walked away from the bed.

"I'll have someone drive you home. But by tomorrow, you'll be moving in with me."

He smiled and exited. As the door slammed shut behind him, so did every hope and joy also seem to shut on Aquilina.

Will it really be okay? Will I ever be okay?

————————

"So, Aquilina bribed a guard and together they snuck the gun in—an AK 47 I heard!"

Aqui almost rolled her eyes as she walked through the hallways. A redhead from that group spotted her and whispered to the others.

They fell silent and watched her, disdain filling their features.

"How dare she come back here after everything?" The redhead said to her friends not trying to quiet her voice.

"Why'd they even allow her in?"

"I heard the judge cleared her name, but I don't believe it."

"You know, nobody wants you here," one got the courage and said to her face. "So get out of this school, you useless scum."

Despite the highly increased security, many had feared approaching her squarely. Though they stared and talked, they didn't have the courage to approach her.

Except this one.

Aquilina just stared—devoid of any feeling—and finally walked away to the hideout above the last floor.

Over the past few days, she had found solace in the Art Studio. Mr. Francis had told her to freely use it, telling her he understood.

They had been having lessons outdoors then, but, they had returned to the studio.

She couldn't go there, neither could she go to the MediCentre. Students had claimed to be afraid of her, and had made a scene.

Though no one had asked her to leave, she decided it best to keep away.

She didn't want to stay, but she couldn't leave either. They had yet to find the culprit. And till they did, she knew her name couldn't fully be cleared.

She walked on, pain searing her heart with rapid velocity—it had been five days.

Five days since the incident. Five days since her life had stopped being any semblance of the little bit of normal she had gotten to know of.

Five days—since she had talked to Javier Miguel García.

Every breath she drew during the seconds of those days... hurt.

Five days.

(A/N: I'm in tears right now. I know I'm such a crybaby. But it hurt to write this and to even imagine it all.)

————————

As Aqui climbed the stairs and reached the hideout, she was met by yet another unsettling sight — Francesco and Rosa were together again.

Francesco saw her and stood. For a moment his baby blue eyes looked conflicted, then, he finally sighed.

"Look, Aquilina, I know they said you're not guilty and all, but I think it will be best if you leave."

"Yes, please do that. Leave," Rosa added in a sickeningly sweet voice. "Oh, and if possible, leave the school forever."

Triumph was evident on her face as Aqui spun around and hurried down.

She had to leave, she couldn't stand it anymore. On reaching the elevator, she dialed the number of the only other person who had cared to reach out during that time—Lu Xia.

At least, he'd give her a ride home.

————————

Hola! I am really sorry for the short chapters

Hola! I am really sorry for the short chapters. But I hope you enjoyed reading it—though it is quite sad.

Phela 💐