CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"We need to talk," Rosa said, her jaw set

"Hey, Rosa," Aquilina forced her voice to sound cheery.

"Don't give me that," she rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. "Do you think I can't see past this little game you're playing?"

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, puh-lease. I know you're the reason why Francesco has left me. And, what? Now, you're with Javier too?" She scoffed.

"I don't—" Rosa silenced her with an upraised arm.

"If you know what's best for you, stay away from my princes before you get hurt."

"I never knew you owned any princes. Is that the business your father is into?"

Where had that come from?

If looks could kill, Aqui knew Rosa would have shot and buried her in seconds.

"Don't say I didn't warn you." She stormed out.

Aqui glanced around and drew a shaky breath. I'm glad no one was around to witness that, she passed her hand over her ponytail.

———————

Oh no, You never let go

Through the calm and through the storm

Oh no, You never let go

In every high and every low

Oh no, You never let go

Lord, You never let go of me

The lyrics of Matt Redman's, You Never Let Go, blasted through Aqui's earphones. She was currently sitting on a bed swaying her legs at the MediCentre.

For some reason, she felt lonely that afternoon. She wished she could talk to someone, anyone. She jolted when the nurse, Rose tapped her shoulder.

"You can take a break, you know? Things are not so busy here," she said calmly when Aqui unplugged her earphones.

"Really?" She smiled faintly.

"Of course. You can return during later."

Aqui had grown to love Nurse Rose. A young and beautiful dark skinned lady, she was extremely thoughtful of others. And she had a knack for knowing when someone needed a break.

(A/N: How I imagine Rose)

"Thanks so much, Rose. I'll be back in a short while."

Aqui bounced off, grabbing the satchel bag she was fond of.

After some deliberation, she decided to head to the old library. The thought of playing there warmed her heart.

She thought of her first encounter with Javier there. That thought brought a tiny smile to her face.

Who would have thought that we'd become friends eventually?

As she walked toward the deserted library, Aqui thought she saw a shadow lurking on the side of the hallway and headed upstairs.

A dark feeling of foreboding clouded her mind. She slowed and stilled her heart. She subconsciously reached for her handgun.

She didn't pull it out, but touched it as she quietly approached. She didn't speed up.

How many more are there? She glanced around. There was no sign of any.

She took in deep breaths and listened as she moved in quiet calculated steps. She heard movement above her and checked to make sure she was concealed from the view of whoever was above.

She slowly climbed up through a bit of a different angle, glad for her training.

She soon found her 'mystery person'. Dressed in all black, the back was to her and appeared masculine. He held a shotgun.

A McMillan TAC-50? She wondered.

That was powerful.

He hadn't seen her, and she was glad. There was an upper opening from where he stood which led to the school's cafeteria. He was aiming at someone.

Her heart pounded as she quickly pressed a button on her phone in her bag which sent an SOS to Mike.

She knew she didn't have time and that she had to act fast, when she saw who the target was.

God help me, she prayed within her heart as she charged forward. He was seconds away from pulling the trigger.

His target? Javier.

———————

Please this chapter is dedicated to, japizgam_  and morgzara  I am grateful 💚Thanks so much everyone

Thanks so much everyone.