CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Okay, okay, I'm posting a lot of songs. But I have had this one in particular in mind since... since... umm 🤔... the beginning? Hehe 🙃

Feel free to listen (or not) anytime.

Warning: Might contain some sensitive topics, though they are barely brushed upon.

————————-

"You have to perform this surgery," Lu Feng Mian said in a pleading voice

"But—" Aqui began.

"Please. He could lose his life."

"I have an injury in my right arm, Feng Mian."

He rolled his eyes like his twin Lu Xia. She would have normally joked about it but, she couldn't in that situation.

They were both alone in a private room in the hospital.

King Flavian had been rushed to the hospital after his heart attack. And it had gravitated to the extent that he required surgery—immediately.

"I've seen you perform operations with your left arm only, Aquilina. Only you can handle this kind of surgery."

And it was true. She had been labelled as one of the top surgeons in the world despite her age and hidden identity from normal society.

It's only by God's Grace, she had once said to a magazine which had kept her identity and photo confidential.

But the truth was, it wasn't only her hand that was serving as a hindrance. The greatest blockade of all, was her heart.

She walked into the OR with a heavy heart. She knew she couldn't do it on her own.

When her aides had declared that all was ready for one of the gravest surgeries of all time, Aqui knew she wasn't ready.

She willed her hands to move, to grab a scalpel—anything. But she couldn't. She felt frozen in place.

"Please, wait," she finally said her heart pounding so loud she thought everyone else could hear it.

Her senses were aware of the fact that they all thought it strange she was delaying the procedure. But they did as she instructed.

"Let's pray before we proceed."

And they did.

————

Aquilina felt the cool breeze on her face as she sipped a cup of hot chocolate on her balcony. She felt weary. She had just completed three surgeries without sufficient rest.

The wind caused a few strands of her hair to fly in different directions disrupting her train of thoughts momentarily.

But her mind quickly returned to the issue which was pressing hard at her.