CHAPTER SIXTY

"Congratulations!"

"Congratulations!"

"I'm so happy for you."

Javier was glad for everything but, he couldn't wait to be alone with Aquilina, now officially, his wife.

He informed his dad of his decision to leave, who readily agreed. But before he could reach his bride, he was stopped by the sight of his best friend, Francesco, approaching.

And happily towing behind him, was Rosa, Audrey, and Tarquin.

Spotting him, Javier recalled the conversation they had several weeks before.

~~~

"So you never met her again until recently?"

"No, not until recently," Tarquin replied.

His voice was now faint and he had a faraway look in his eyes. Javier had never seen him looking that vulnerable.

Tarquin had called him over to his Villa to a meal which neither of them ended up touching.

But the meal hadn't been the main reason for his call, but rather, to open up about his dark past to Javier.

Concerning how he had been tricked into using drugs by some 'so-called' friends. And how he had 'abused' another young girl who seemed to be in the same state as he was.

And eventually, he had come to love her.

Javier could not believe it.

And, why would he open up to me of all people?

Tarquin had also mentioned the pregnancy and the 'abortion', which he didn't quite believe was so anymore.

"And you asked your Father about it?"

"Yes, after what I had overheard him saying to her, I confronted him," he sighed and buried his head in his hands.

"All he told me was that not everything is what it seems. And that I'll know the truth soon," he continued.