CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"I'm what?" She repeated, trying to make sense of it all

"You've been acquitted. Vindicated." Shawn repeated — for the second time.

She had been walking in the school's hallways when she had been called and asked to report to the Principal's office.

She was ushered in, and found Shawn Tyler, her boss at the WACO, and his assistant, Ray Fitzgerald, waiting for her with the Principal.

She braced herself, No matter what they say, I won't let it get to me.

She had been preparing for the worst. But what Shawn said baffled her.

When the reality of his statement finally sunk in, Aquilina felt dizzy and nauseous all at once. She wanted to sit down but propelled her senses to return to normal, taking in deep breaths.

She always tried to not let her weaknesses show — even whilst alone.

"How did that happen?" She inquired, a thousand possibilities running through her mind.

"We managed to withdraw a confession from two of the terrorists, and after further investigation, have come to the realisation that you are innocent." Ray butted in and explained.

"We are in fact, very sorry for all the harm and inconveniences this has caused you, Princess Aquilina, " Shawn looked sincere and truly remorseful.

She had always respected him at work. With his grey hair and silver mustache, he reminded her of her father.

Though he had his quirks, he had always treated her kindly. She knew this case had caused him much grief—he had told her that personally— but he had to do what he had to do.

"The Organisation has decided to compensate you for all you've been through, and award you for all the hard work," Ray went on. "We spoke with your family, and they decided you can reveal your identity now. So you can withdraw from school and return to work."

"To the position of a Director," Shawn smiled. "You get to pick and choose whatever mission you want, and will no longer report to me but to the big bosses."

Wow, the same position that Shawn holds, she thought.

"You'll be the first teenager to be assigned that position. And I have no doubt you will do it well," Shawn was beaming. "But the decision is yours to make. We will give you time to think about it."

---------------

Aqui felt elated yet anxious, as she returned from the Principal's office.

What does this all mean now? Do I stay or do I leave?

She felt the fear of not knowing what the next day will hold try to grip her heart. She needed to be alone—to clear her thoughts, to think.

Classes were almost over anyway, so she decided to go to the last floor and head towards the place she had once visited with Francesco.

She had been there a few times afterwards, when she knew it was less likely he would be around.

She was so lost in thought as she ascended the stairs to the hideout that she didn't notice someone approaching.

They collided, and she rushed to apologise,

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying att—" she stopped as she came face to face with those baby blue eyes.

"Francesco?"

"Lina, " he replied the slight Italian accent unmistakable.

————————

Greetings! *in a fake British accent*

I hope you're all well, by GOD'S Grace. Please let me know your thoughts on this chapter also.

This chapter is dedicated to, SophiexXxLouise Thank you so much for your silent support all this while. 🙃

Much Love,

Phela 💓🧡