3 - Oh, the Less I Know the Better

| Oh, the Less I Know the Better |

It had been the quickest 5 minutes Sirius had ever experienced. In 5 minutes all of them had gotten up, sprinted to the hospital wing, and were now waiting for Madam Pomfrey to get the antidote. Diane was sitting on the bed with Remus sat next to her, after she insisted he had to.

   Lily was pacing, her perplexed face making it obvious she was thinking of who laced Dianes' drink with love potion. James and Peter were awkwardly sitting on the other side of the bed, trying their best to ignore Dianes' failed attempts at getting Remus to kiss her behind them.

   After a few minutes of careful deliberation, Sirius stepped towards where Diane and Remus sat.
   "Moony... are you sure you didn't...?" he asked, hesitantly.

   "No, of course not, Padfoot! How could you think that?!". It was obvious that the werewolf was irritated and stressed with all this, and his best friend questioning his common decency did not help at all. Remus really didn't put a love potion in his best friends' goblet, he would never do that to her.

"Alright, alright I'm sorry. It's just who would want to put it for you?" Sirius asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Put what for my Moony? Are you going to hurt him?" came Dianes' sweet voice, surprising them both.

"No. No, Diane, I'm not going to hurt him." replied Sirius in a steel, cold voice; making not only Remus, but everyone in the room turn to look at him.

As soon as he felt all the eyes on him he wanted to get out. "I'm going to go for a smoke." he announced, ignoring Lily's disapproving look. He got up and picked his leather jacket to leave.

"Can I join you, Pads?" James yelled when Sirius was nearly at the door.

Sirius smiled at him apologetically, "Not this time, mate." He turned to leave, hearing Madam Pomfrey coming back; most likely with the antidote. He continued down the hall and to the hallway stairs that he always met up with Diane on. It was their little meeting place that no one else knew about. He smiled sadly remembering why they picked it.

"Diane wait!"
It was a crisp, snowy night in December. Second year, thirteen year old Sirius Black was running after a twelve year old Diane Potter, who was trying to hide her tears. His feet crunched the icy snow underneath.

She had gotten news that her aunt had died of muggle heart cancer. She was very close to her, as well. Her and James' owl dropped the envelope during supper, a strange time for owls to fly in. As soon as she read it, she got up with a chilling, blank expression, gave it to James and walked out. If anyone else saw her, they would've said she looked completely calm; but Sirius knew she was far from that.