33 - No Surprises Please

| No Surprises Please |

Diane shivered as she walked up the stairs of the Astronomy Tower in her pink and white checkered pyjamas, which Remus had once said brought out her tanned face. He had kissed her softly, after and wished her goodnight in a honeyed whisper. The wind reached her, even when she hadn't reached the balcony yet; it swished her hair, even in a braid. The stairs seemed comfortingly endless, stone grey and cold against her slippers. They felt constant and therapeutic.

She had been feeling lost lately. She was always tense, anxious, awaiting the inevitable fall from the cliff. She and Remus fought two long days ago, and it just won't leave her poor mind.

"I don't think you should have yelled at Sirius like that, Moony."

"I didn't yell at him," Remus replied, annoyed. He didn't even look back at her as she tried to match his fast pace.

"Yes, you did. He was almost bloody crying by the end of it."

"He was not."

"Fucking Merlin, have a little compassion, Remus."

"Oh, sure."

"Oh, wait, I forgot. you don't know what compassion is, do you?"

Remus had immediately halted his stomping walk and spun around, eyebrows high in an 'oh, we're doing this, are we?' expression. His hair reflected the sunshine streaming in from the tall windows in the Divination corridor; he looked like an furious angel.

"Because you know what compassion is, do you? You're too busy being angry as a bull the entire fucking time."

Diane had inhaled sharply, feeling stung and hurt.

"Don't you mention that, you fucker. At least I feel something!"

Remus had turned livid that moment, Diane saw it so clearly. Eyes ringed with amber yellow, jaw tightened, a threatening eyebrow raised. His hands curled into fists, and his neck stretched to the side like he was getting ready for a fight. The air tensed and crackled with his magic. And yet, as frightening as you'd think it was, he spoke calmly.

"Diane. Oh, poor Diane. Yes, you feel something, you feel everything," he had begun, a furious glint in his eyes. However, his face still emitted a calm, amused aura. "You feel overshadowed by James all the time, no? You're only the baby sister. You feel blinding jealousy when Sirius talks to anyone, whoever it is. You feel insecure next to Lily, you hesitate to stand next to her and her lovely green eyes, her charming red hair. You love Regulus so fiercely, even when he doesn't love you back, but you don't know what to do with it. And oh, you feel angry. You feel angry, livid, furious, don't you?" he leaned in closer, his face mere centimetres away from hers. She stepped back, feeling like she was being cornered. He stepped forward, finger poking her heart, right above her chest. "Or is it anxiety? Is the small, insecure girl hiding behind your cocky facade finally getting her voice?"