22 - You Got Me Nervous to Speak

| You Got Me Nervous to Speak |

"I'm waiting."

"W-what?"

"You said you wanted to talk this out, didn't you?"

"Yeah, I did. Yes,"

"Go on, then."

  "Well..." Sirius felt extremely anxious as he tried to string together a few words that might convince Diane to listen and hear him out. The expression on her face was intimidating, to say the least. "I— I don't know what to say."

  "Neither do I, Sirius." Diane breathed out, shoulders slumping as she sat down on one of the chairs in the abandoned classroom they hid in. When she glanced up at him again, all of a sudden Sirius saw just how exhausted she looked. He felt a painful tug in his chest.

  After a few seconds of her staring up at a stiff, standing Sirius, Diane finally spoke up.

  "How about— how about we just forget about all this?" she tried, a small smile on her face. But she wasn't happy; nowhere near it. Sirius could always tell how she felt by watching her eyes. And at the moment, they were screaming the exact opposite of what the girl was saying.

  "But I don't—" Sirius paused at the pleading look on her face. His jaw twitched as he sighed. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

  He exhaled a shaky breath, "All right then, all forgotten."

  The choking silence hung heavily for another minute. Sirius wanted to scream. Then, Diane stood up.

  "Let's head back, then, yeah? I'm knackered, I could use a good nap," she laughed weakly, holding out her hand for Sirius to take. She wouldn't look him in the eye, though.

  So he took her hand, and they walked back to Gryffindor Tower hand in hand, followed by a cloud of tense quiet.

          *       *       *       *       *       *       *       *

The following days were filled with heavy chests and sunken souls. All Diane could think about was how Sirius deserved better than her. However, she couldn't stop the feeling of regret at not taking her chance to be with him.

  Her silence was immediately noticed by James, Remus and Peter, who's moods had dampened. The Marauders had thought that Sirius and Diane would sort out whatever they had going on, and all would be back to normal. Even James was disappointed with how things were.