32 - I Don't Even Recognize Your Face

| I Don't Even Recognize Your Face |

"So."

"Yes?" Marlene humoured Diane, eyebrow raised.

"We have something to tell you."

  The Marauders and their friends sat under the billowing willow tree, the September wind turning their cheeks pink. Diane was standing in front of the group, arms crossed and eyes fidgety.

She hadn't spoken yet.

"I'm in a relationship," Diane blurted out.

  Everyone except the Marauders appeared pleasantly surprised. Marlene raised an eyebrow at Sirius, although elicited no reaction. Then, Lily asked, "With who?"

  "Er—" she looked at the two boys looking up at her. Sirius looked terribly nervous while Remus looked calm but still clearly wary. Time stood still.

  Perhaps the three had been staring silently for a while since one of the others had connected the dots.

  "Oh my god!" Mary gasped, then covered her mouth after her shout. Dorcas turned to her.

"What? What?"

"The three of them are together!"

  Dorcas, Lily and Marlene, who had sat up straight from her slouch, widened their eyes.

  Lily looked at Marlene, who was looking at Dorcas. Mary was staring at the three Marauders in shock, eyes going back and forth between them.

  For a few long seconds, there was only rigid silence and slapping wind shaking the willow tree, like nature's composition. Lily looked at James, then, to see his reaction. There was none; he knew, she realized.

  "I—Well, congratulations!" Lily laughed, cutting the silence. As she got up to go over to Diane, the other girls sobered up.

  "Yeah, I mean, it's different," Marlene concluded, still looking surprised. "But it kinda makes sense, doesn't it?"

  Sirius smiled at Remus in relief when Mary stood up and hugged him tightly.

  "You know we'd never judge you, right?" she whispered to him. He hugged her tighter.

  Remus grinned at Lily as she approached him and jumped to embrace him. She patted his jumper-clad back in a way that was so very maternally comforting; he released a breath.

"We love you, always."

* * * * * * * *

The Marauders gathered around the record player in the boys' dormitory. Remus had magicked it so it worked even in Hogwarts, back in fifth year. The Potter's mother, Euphemia, had sent a new vinyl.

  It was by Fairuz, a Lebanese singer who was (according to Euphemia) very popular in the Middle East. Remus placed the vinyl and placed the needle on top, the sound scratching a bit until it caught the music.