26 - Let It Happen

| Let It Happen |

| Let It Happen |

Newspapers. On breakfast tables of all four houses, in hands of whispering students and teachers alike. There had been murders; many, many murders, 32 to be exact. All of them Muggles, Muggleborns and the families of those Muggleborns. It unsettled everyone, gave everyone a harsh reality check about what was really going on outside the castle; a dark and bloody war.

"Seems like the Death Eaters had a killing night out." Mary muttered, eyebrows furrowed and eyes staring at the front page intently. Lily elbowed her roughly when a blond, third year Gryffindor turned to her with wide, frightened eyes.

The Marauders, however, were all occupied. The grim news splattered on the front page of the Daily Prophet terrified them, yes, but there was something even more shocking. Sirius had received a letter from his family, the dark green crest sitting dauntingly on the envelope, the black wax stamp with their trademark snake icon.

All five of them sat in silence, staring at the envelope in Sirius' hands. No one had touched their breakfast.

"Should— should I open it?"

"No, absolutely not, Sirius."

"No way, Padfoot."

"Fucking no."

"I don't think so."

Sirius finally looked up at his friends. He looked like the scared 11 year old boy he was when he first got a howler from his mother, when she had screamed at him for being sorted into Gryffindor.

"No?" he asked quietly, eyes hollow and flicking between Diane, Remus, James and Peter. "What if it's about the murders last night?"

Diane leaned over the table to gently pluck the letter from Sirius' hands. "Then it surely isn't good news. Not that I think your mother is capable of producing good news other than her timely death."

Remus smiled and James gave a half-hearted chuckle but kept his focus on Sirius. "Pads, it's not worth it, forget about it. If it's really important, she'll send Regulus."

"I—" Sirius was silent for a few seconds, then turned to Diane. "Will you read it? For me?"

"Er—" Diane turned to look at Remus, who reluctantly gave her a nod. She wondered why Sirius chose the most mentally unstable friend that had no hold over her emotions to react to a (no doubt) cruel letter from his mum. She sighed. "All right."

She eyed the snake on the envelope with distaste then opened it carelessly, part of it ripping. She unfolded the letter and began to read while all her friends' eyes stayed on her tanned face to gauge her expressions.

Remus was staring at Diane intently, expecting the default arrogant smile to appear on her face and a dismissive wave of her hand to show Sirius it was nothing. Instead, he was worried to see her eyebrows growing closer together as a look of disgusted horror crossed her face for a moment. He comfortingly held her cold, unoccupied hand under the table.