27 - Freaking Out the Neighbourhood (Summer 1977)

| Freaking Out The Neighbourhood |

The great, tall window in the living room of the Potter household bathed the wooden room in golden sunlight when the lively, yet sleep-slowed teenagers walked in. The large, warm-toned living room (that was open to the kitchen) smelt of buttered toast and warm summer air. The friends were chatting about the new and the mundane, all content that they would be spending the entire summer together, in the Potter's homely mansion.

  Remus, Sirius, James and Peter were all wearing their pyjamas, and Diane was wearing a flowy, white Arabic nightgown, like her mother's. Speaking of Euphemia Potter, she had been making her children breakfast, spinning her head from the pans and plates now and then to laugh mirthfully at her husband's not-so-funny jokes.

  At their arrival, Mr and Mrs Potter had greeted and welcomed the kids as their own, assigning them their bedrooms. James, Diane and Sirius had their own, unique rooms, while Remus and Peter would sleep in guest bedrooms.

  The topic of Diane, Sirius and Remus' relationship had been inevitable, and it was fast to come up, even before they had gone to their rooms to unpack. Euphemia was whole-heartedly supportive, repeatedly telling the three she was happy as long as they were happy. Fleamont was a little confused, asking how it exactly happened, and if they were truly serious about this. After a few questions, the father echoed his wife as he told them he was very glad for them.

  Today, Mrs Potter had woken up earlier than ever to prepare a big breakfast feast for the family in celebration of the kids' first morning of the summer. As the family and their friends took their seats on the long, mahogany dining table, they admired the assortments of dishes. There was oatmeal, boiled eggs, fruits, pancakes, hash browns, toast, a collection of many types of jams and jars of honey, and turkey bacon. The meat wasn't pig meat, as Mrs Potter was from a Muslim family, and had kept the habit with her and passed it onto her children.

  "Good morning, Mrs Potter," Remus greeted politely. He gave Sirius and Peter an urging look. "Thank you, again, for having us. Breakfast looks brilliant."

  "Come on, Habibi, you know you're part of the family, Remus," she replied kindly. The lilt of her Arabic accent was as smooth as honey and comfortingly maternal. "It's not summer without everyone here, isn't it Fleamont?"

  "Definitely. Remus knows he's welcome all summer, and we've made sure to find you a place to spend the full moons, so you shouldn't worry, son."

  Remus smiled gratefully, "Thank you, Mr Potter." His Welsh accent showed a bit, something that happens when he's embarrassed or nervous. Sirius found it endearing.

  They all started spooning delicious breakfast foods onto their plates. Sirius, James, Peter and Mr Potter chatted about their plans to play Quidditch in the backyard later, Remus and Diane planned their trip to the new bookstore that had opened in their neighbourhood and Mrs Potter was pouring tea for everyone.