28- Sweet Tea In The Summer (Summer 1977)

| Sweet Tea In The Summer |

"Is it hard to be this stupid, James, or does it come naturally for you?"

"Mayasa! I didn't know how to do it!" whined James, dropping the paint tubes on the floor dejectedly. He was a frequent victim of Mayasa's biting sarcasm.

The younger generation in the Potter household had organized a painting afternoon with the help of Aunt Dana. Mr Potter had made tea and sandwiches and Mrs Potter had organized the upstairs living room to be painting-ready.

All of the AlJassim family were creatives; Aunt Dana paints everything from portraits to landscapes, Mayasa sculpts clay vases and statues, Mohammed draws realistic portraits and Maryam plays three instruments. Diane was the only creative person in the Potter family, (drawing, painting and playing the piano). However, Sirius was multi-talented. Aunt Dana was in awe by his ability to paint, draw, play the piano, write poems and speak Latin and French. Sirius, however, despised that part of himself and expressed it clearly.

James had attempted to paint a simple, flower field, guided by Diane. However, after a few minutes of the sister frustratedly grabbing brushes from his hand and doing it herself, she dramatically gave up. Mayasa tried to help after that but was quickly regretting that decision. Remus was peacefully drawing Sirius in a scene where he was stood up and painting a canvas on an easel. He wasn't the best artist, but he was doing just fine with the general shape. Peter was having the time of his life, being comfortable with oil paints, already finishing half of a portrait of David Bowie in renaissance style. Aunt Dana and Mohammed were praising him for the use of his colours, brushstrokes and so on.

Maryam had been sitting next to Sirius since her arrival, constantly trying to talk to him and hold his attention. Now her petite frame was sat on a stool next to his standing figure, eyes stuck on him while he was focused on his painting. Remus was stealing glances at them from behind his easel, checking for anything concerning. James said that he looked fine when she'd asked him what was wrong, but Diane could see his jaw clenching and unclenching.

"So, Sirius," Maryam started. "You're seventeen, are you?"

"Yes, older than all of them, I am." he laughed, still not looking over at her. He wiped the brush on the little towel and continued, glancing over at Diane. He'd realized she hadn't looked at him all day.

"That's nice. I didn't know seventeen-year-old boys could look this handsome, though." Her tone was joking but there was the obvious air of an attempt at something.

James chuckled but then went silent when both Remus and Diane turned to glare at him. Sirius laughed uncomfortably, looking back at both his partners.

"Er- thanks, Maryam."

Maryam took this as a success and smiled brilliantly. "You're welcome, Sirius."