Chapter 5 part 2️

Arziphales had seen many things in his many lifetimes, he had seen magic's rise, and magic's downfall. He had witnessed the destruction that magic like this was apart of. He had heard of it, yes, but to have seen it...this practice had died out at the time the unforgivables had been declared "unforgivable". No, he did not agree with that, he believed that those spells were only tools, it was how you used them that made them "unforgivable". But this, everyone, had forgotten this, why even the ministry had forgotten about this! It was an old ritual called *et torquem ad imperium*

It had to be done every night for almost a year, it trained the magical core of a witch or wizard to bend to the will of the caster. They could limit the magic, they could even trick the core into changing sides of the spectrum! And if the witch or wizard was young enough...they wouldn't even know it was happening.

The cost was, if the person that this injustice was inflicted on didn't stay within the limit set, their own core would kill them. Only a few had managed to survive it, the changes were permanent, and there was always a backlash if they tried to do a complicated spell, and they all died of "unexplained" circumstances. (They exceeded the limit.)

Everything inflicted on Harry had been done away with the moment he died. (He made sure of it.) So the limit and the fatal consequences were gone, but his core still was following the limit placed on it.

What remained to be seen was if they could free it.

Harry could sense something was wrong...Arziphales was never this quiet. Judging by the look on his face, he knew what was going on and that it wasn't good. It had been about three minutes and Arziphales still hadn't spoken, he was starting to get impatient. When he had finally had enough, he finally asked what had been on his mind.
"It's bad, isn't it?"

"$What is?$"

     "Whatever has your face looking like that."He says slowly as you would to a toddler.

"$ I thought my face was pleasing to look at little master.$" Arziphales says mischievously as his smirk returns. (Also at that sentence, Harry just rolls his eyes.)

"You do realize that you never answered my question?"Harry asks with irritation seeping through his tone

  "$You're question is not that easy to answer, you see it should be forgotten, especially in the time you originally came from. Someone went to great links to keep you subdued.$"Arziphales says with his face is still set in a scowl. He had hoped that all the trouble others had caused him would be over.

Harry is shocked, to say the least. What did they do now! Haven't they ruined his life enough?" What did they do now?" he says exasperated.

Death sighs, then he starts speaking in a tone one can only say is remorseful..."$Someone knew exactly what your core was and how powerful you were. They made sure you would never reach your full potential. Have you never wondered why you had trouble with learning spells at first? Why you could never keep up? Why you always were behind the others?$"

Harry thought about this, yes he had thought about this. Many times, Hermione would always mention it, especially when she got better marks.
" I always thought it was because I wasn't trying hard enough."

This is true, he found out that he couldn't learn like the other kids, so he stopped trying.

"$You were powerful before, young Master. Not as you are now yes, but formidable, or you would've been if someone hadn't tempered with your core. Before you ask, it was an old ritual used by wizards of light. It was used to cleanse dark wizards and for people of power to stay in control.$" Death was not happy about this, to say the least. They had to get the limit off of him!

Harry was floored! He couldn't believe what he was hearing, how could someone change a core like that? Then he thought about it, he remembered the fight he first had when Voldemort came back in his fourth year. How he couldn't get the few spells he knew to full power, he thought it was because of the cruico. But this did make sense. He would have random bursts of powerful magic, but he thought those had been because of his emotions running high, or so he thought. (and was told.)

Death could sense what was going through Harry's mind, he had figured it out. The only thing he had left to tell him was how.

"$The only way to do this to someone is by nightly casting a spell on the intended victim, and holding for an hour and thirty minutes exactly, and continuing nightly until you got the result wanted. Judging by how powerful the victim was the ritual would have to be repeated. The only people who knew this spell were the "lords of light". Dumbledore started this, but I do not believe that he acted alone...young Hermione was mostly an accomplice.$"
Arziphales said in a tone harry could only describe as ticked off, pacing the floor.

"There is more isn't there?" Harry said curiously.

Death grimaced "$Nothing you need to worry about.$"

This made Harry's temper flare! Death was hiding something from him! Of course, Arziphales sensed his growing unease and quickly spoke up.
"$I'm not keeping it from you, all of the consequences have been reversed! Also, the people who did it will not enjoy their fate, I assure you! I will tell you, but only after we can successfully keep you from exploding! Right now we need to get the limit off your core. Stretching it at least three times a day should erase the last of the damage caused.$ "

Harry didn't ever want to experience a night like that again, so he would let Death keep whatever it was to himself, for now. He was more interested in getting rid of his new additions and finally getting full control of his powers."How do we do this?"

"$Simply will it to, it will also help with your wandless magic. For now young master simply try to remember the steps I taught you last time to return yourself to normal.$"Death was glad Harry accepted his reasoning, he had to figure out a way to help his master.

Meanwhile, Harry thought on all that Arziphales had said. He slowly imagined that his hands returned to normal, and his tail disappeared. When he opened his eyes, he was back to normal. When he looked up, Arziphales looking at him with a small smile. He nodded his head, and with a "$Farewell, for now, young master$" he was gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Potterheads!! I made the ritual up, do you think it makes sense? It means "to control and chain" in latin. The next chapter will have more content that takes place with what's going on at the orphanage. Although personally, I love a good backstory. Thank you for reading!