Chapter 15:

A/N: tysm for over 1.5k reads!!! <33 you guys mean sm to me thank you!!! :-)

(also, fluff chapter for today :D)

as soon as clay picks up, my tears fall and i become a mess. i open my mouth to say something, but what comes out is a strangled sob. immediately clay starts making small noises. "wha- y/n, are you okay?" i try to stop but i can't. finally, after a few moments, i stop myself. "i'm coming over. is poppy okay?" 

i hear the sound of a door being opened and i sigh shakily. "poppy is okay... she's asleep." i whisper and the call falls in silence. it's only broken when a loud knock comes from my door. i hang up and drag myself to the door. when i open the door, clay rushes and hugs me, his comforting scent engulfing me.

i smile and close my eyes, a tear slipping out. he shuts the door and we head to my room, awkwardly shuffling backward. as soon as we get in, he pulls away and looks into my eyes, his gaze soft. "what's wrong? do you want to talk about it?" i nod and he sits us down on my chair. 

i'm timid in my movements and i watch as he sits on the chair, pulling me forward. what is he doing..? my eyes slightly widen as i realize that he wants me to sit on his lap. i hesitantly sit and clay pulls me close to him, my head on his chest. i feel myself burn up with the close contact. "tell me what's on your mind." he says, his chest vibrating. i swallow and inhale.

"i don't think poppy is okay... remember the other incident? the one at the cafe? she completely ignored it as if it never happened. and i get that she does that, because honestly, i would too. but it's like she covers her emotions up and never lets anyone get close to her." i start, my voice quivering. clay rubs his hand soothingly up and down my back.

i take another shaky breath in and continue. "then, today, she keeps insisting that she's okay when i know she's not. i know poppy, i mean, we've been friends for almost 2 years. i know it doesn't seem like a long time but... i know when she's lying and when she's telling the truth." 

i look up at clay and see him looking down at me, softness and concern in his eyes. those gorgeous eyes. i smile softly and i feel him leaning down, and placing a sweet kiss on my lips before i bury my head back into his chest, my cheeks pink.

"today poppy just... she was different. she was calmer... she didn't talk as much and she always responded with an 'i'm okay'. clay i- i want to help her. but how can i when she keeps herself away from me?" i ramble on and he starts to play with my hair before he tucks a small piece behind my ear. i look up at him and he smiles comfortingly down at me.

"y/n... you got to give her time to open up. some people bottle their feelings and one little trigger makes them shatter that bottle. poppy is tough, i know that for sure. give her space, and when you feel like she's ready to talk, or she is ready, then ask her about it." he informs me and i nod slightly, feeling myself hug him to get closer.

"what about you? how do you feel?" "me..? okay i guess... the only thing i'm stressing about besides poppy is how i'm going to find a new job." i sigh and clay shifts a bit on the chair. "you can just find a job in another store..?" he suggests and i shake my head slightly. "i can help you- here, what did you take in college?"

i close my eyes. "i took mostly arts and crafts." "then you can be an artist, or you can work in a store with clothes, or-." i stop him and feel myself shudder tiredly. "clay... it's okay. i can find a job by myself." he only nods and i shift on his lap, trying to get into a more comfortable position.

clay's breath hitches and his hands rest on my waist, a bit tense. i finally find a good spot and i wrap my arms around his back, and i blink before closing my eyes. "i'm- i'm tired..." i mumble and clay only nods, and he rubs my back. i feel myself start to fall asleep and i do, hearing him softly murmur words to me.