Chapter 31:

A/N: the characters (there will be two people) that will be introduced has not been in the story before!! 

TW: mentions of rape

those words are enough to make me stare at him in shock, unable to comprehend what i just heard. "what..?" i say and watch as clay stares at me, silent, waiting for me to either explode in anger or explode in sadness. i'm feeling both emotion, and also a bit of surprise.

"yeah i- that's why i left so suddenly yesterday. they called me, saying that they brought in the people that looked the most similar to the person you described." clay further explains and i can feel him try and reach for my hand but i'm already heading back to my room. i shut the door and grab new clothes, just some ripped jeans and a t-shirt. i hear the door open as i brush my hair and i only take a glance at clay.

he's looking at me, uncertain, and i run past him, grabbing my phone and backpack. he's only following me like a lost puppy and i look at him. "what? are we going or are you just going to follow me?" i snap and i immediately regret it. clay stays silent and i want him to say something.

he only shakes his head and leads us out to his car. "we're heading to the police station." he mumbles as we get inside the car and i nod, looking out the front as we back out. the one thing i don't notice is that when we get closer to the station, i'm starting to get uneasy and clay notices. by the way his eyes look at me, i realize that this is what he was silent about. he knew that even though i looked confident and acted like it, i was so damn nervous about meeting the potential men that raped her.

so when we arrive, i don't notice that i'm shaking to the point where i can't stop. my leg is rapidly bouncing and my hands can't seem to rest still. clay parks and i have a clear view of the front. he takes one glance at me, his neutral expression going soft.

"hey, hey... look at me." he says but i push him away. i'll start exploding in a puddle of tears if he tries to comfort me. i know that's what i need right now, clay's comfort, but i've used him too many times to make sure i'm okay. 

clay looks hurt as i glance at him, and i look away, unsure what to do. "y/n." clay only says and i ignore it. i can feel him looking at me before his gaze has traveled to somewhere else. "i'm sorry..." i apologize softly and that gets clay's attention. "sorry for what?" "for being cold this whole entire ride." i explain and i feel his hand grip onto mine, holding it as he moves his thumb in reassuring circles on my skin.

"no need to apologize. are you sure you wanna do this?" i wait a bit, asking myself that question. am i even ready to do this? i nod yes before i can back out and clay opens his door before rushing to my side. he opens the door and i step out, trying to walk confidently to the door.

i make it a few feet in front of the door before i stop. a wave of uneasiness falls over me and i falter in my steps. clay's hand comes to my back and i watch as he gently encourages me. the first thing i notice inside the police room is the people. to my surprise, there are multiple people sitting in the waiting area.

i walk up to the front, and clay starts to speak to the lady, who's looking at us expectantly. "hi, we have to meet with sheriff park..." the lady starts typing away at her computer and suddenly, i see a tall man who's lumbering towards us. his hair is slicked back and he has a toothpick in his mouth. he caps on his hat and smiles at us. "hello! you must be clay... and is this y/n?" clay glances at me and i give a small nod.

his eyes linger on me for a second before he turns back to clay. he seems awfully happen for what we're about to do. "alrighty, well, follow me. it says here that you're going to be taking a look at the men we have to determine which looks the most like poppy's rapist." hearing the words tumble out of his mouth effortlessly makes me believe that he has done this a lot before.